Chapter 2

Maha

The very next day our parents met again and it was decided that our Nikkah would happen two weeks later as Asfandyaar's elder brother had to come from abroad. We were going to have four other events three weeks after the Nikkah. A dholki night would occur a day before the mehndi ceremony which only mine and Asfandyaar's friends, siblings and cousins would attend. This was so we could all connect with eachother and have the fun the adults wouldn't let us do.

My mom and aunts took me to shopping the very next day and I had to manage work and wedding preparations side by side. I hated shopping a lot, yet I had no option but to tag along everyone else. In a week's time, everything was ready. I was extremely nervous but a weird sense of satisfaction overcame me everytime I thought about how life would change after my marriage. Mama and Baba were extremely happy and that's what I needed the most. Hamza had gone with Asfandyaar for shopping and Zahra usually came over to help me and Mama.

Everyone did their best to make me emotional and I was, myself, at the verge of tears at times. Two weeks went by so quick that I didn't realize the big day had come by so early.

Asfandyaar

The Nikkah took place at a grand farmhouse. Only our close relatives attended the event. Everything around was decorated white and green and I sat on the sofa on the stage, waiting for the event to begin. I was wearing a white Sherwani with a white Kulla. My brothers were by my side and soon everyone gathered around too. As soon as all the guests arrived, the Nikkah took place. Maha and I were sitting separately till the Nikkah was done.

Aba and Mama hugged me tight and soon congratulations were in order. Handshakes and hugs groped me as I smiled at everyone. Maha's family came out from the bridal room and I met them too. After fifteen minutes of greetings and exchanges, I was sent to Maha's room to get her myself by Hamza and Saad. Those two were up to some serious match making.

In a magnificent white gharara with golden work on it, Maha sat on a chair with a white veil covering her face. On it was written "Asfi's Bride". As I moved nearer, looking at awe at the amazing dress she was wearing with golden jewellery and red gajrey that made her hands so pretty. The maroon colour of her mehndi against the white of her dress made it outshine. I slowly pulled away the veil from her face and Maha looked up at me with a smile that made dread settle down in my stomach.

Unsure what to say, I spoke the best words my mind could muster."Your eyes still hold the innocence of the little girl who sacrificed her piece of cookie for me as she knew it was my favourite." Her lips widened into a huge smile and I forced my own to do so too.

My facade of happiness doubled tenfolds as she replied, "You still look like that little boy who let me win in ludo so I wouldn't be sad."

I bent down and whispered into her ear, "Can I do something?"

Despite being puzzled, Maha nodded and I cupped her cheeks and planted a soft kiss on forehead. Her eyes sparkled like the jewellery she was wearing and her face turned pink. I laughed and offered my hand to her which she took and I helped her get up, setting her dress. Then we walked hand in hand outside towards the stage. The crowd erupted in claps and cheers and rose petals were thrown on us as we went ahead. On the stage, we sat down after a few pictures.

Ayaan, my younger brother handed me a small box from which I took out the most beautiful diamond ring I could find. On it's inside was Asfi's written in italic. Me and Hamza had gotten such rings for me and Maha. I took Maha's left hand and slid the ring in her ring finger. Hamza handed her my ring and she held my left hand and slid the silver band with Maha's written on it's underside onto my finger. Maha looked at me when she saw the engraving of the ring and bumped her shoulder with mine teasingly.

Family photo shoots and all occured as we sat side by side with the sun setting behind us. Food was soon served. The traditional wedding menu with drinks. Everyone soon got busy and on stage our parents sat with us, eating as we all chit chatted. Maha seemed more comfortable around me now and she smiled so cute that made me regret my decisions.

Maha

Everything went great and Zahra came over to sit by my side as Asfandyaar had gone to meet a few friends. She was wearing a light pink gharara and looked gorgeous with her long curly hair by her sides. As we were talking, Daniyaal, Asfandyaar's elder brother came up on stage. Seeing Zahra, he stopped. As Zahra turned around to have a look, her eyes too glued to the spot. Both of they stared at eachother, frozen in time.

I coughed, moving both of them away from the trance. Breaking the ice, Daniyaal greeted Zahra and said, "You guys talk, I'll come back later for the photo, Maha." I nodded absent mindedly at him as he left. I tugged Zahra's shoulder and she looked at me, faking up a smile. Not wanting to worry her more, I changed the subject and we talked. A few of our old friends joined us too.

Life had taken an unexpected twist. Only time would tell the result of this decision our families made for us. Asfandyaar was a good man and I did not want him to turn out to be the typical type. From afar, our eyes met while he was talking with his friends and he sent a smile my way. I returned a little one back and immediately looked away. Hoping for the best, I went on with the day.

To new beginnings...