Chapter 2: The Mystery of the Grandmother

Siddharth Michel Tiwari had eyes only for his childhood best friend, Josephine, as she chatted with their friends at the edge of the forest in the playground they frequented.

The summer sun had already faded and the sunset lit up the skies in beautiful pink. Siddharth couldn't see it because it hid amongst the trees in the forest.

"Where would you like to go when the war is over and you can leave the country?" Ekaant Sharma was asking the company.

Jessica Jones was the first to answer: "I'd love to travel the world and bring democracy in every country!"

Little Jane Jones glanced at her sister and nodded. "Yes, me too. I'll go with her."

"Wow! And you, Jehan?"

Jehan Wadia thought about it. "I don't know," he said at last. "I guess – I'd not go out of the country – but stay and give people free medical help."

Jehan's family had migrated from the Ottoman Empire – now called the Republic of Turkey – during the Great War a few years ago and he had heard horror stories about the consequences of being involved in one. He had resolved never to put people through it again and if they were, to help them as much as he possibly could.

Ekaant nodded. "I suppose that's just like you, Jehan." He turned to Josephine. "What about you?"

Ekaant pursed his lips. "I don't fully understand, but that's okay. Your family started afresh here, so you don't really have to."

"But mostly, I'd like my father to come back home."

Siddharth and Josephine exchanged nervous glances. He cleared his throat and faced their friend. "I'd just like life to go back to normal."

"Don't you want your father to come home, too?" asked Jessica cheekily.

"Jess, don't," hissed Ekaant. "Leave him be."

And just like that, Siddharth's gaze turned from Josephine to their friends up to the clear blue sky. Wondering where his life went wrong.

Was it when summer vacation started that year?

Or maybe when he turned eleven years?

Or maybe when he was born?

Or maybe the time when he discovered how he and Josephine were related to ancient families that descended from the gods of the Seven Heavens, a year ago.

The day that he discovered this was epic. It started normally, just like any other day—with him teasing Josephine and Jane, while Jessica was fiercely protecting the girls; and, as usual, Ekaant and Jehan watched on – the former mildly amused, while the latter quite worried.

They all were Josphine's bedroom in the first floor of her home.

Suddenly, Ekaant felt a chill down his spine; his arms automatically went to wrap around his body. "Hey, what's that?" he whispered to the younger boy next to him.

Wrapped in his own thoughts, all Jehan said was, "Umm."

He turned to look at the boy in question—who was frowning too hard at the floor beneath his feet. He nudged him fiercely.

The younger boy yelped and turned around. "What was that for?!"

This ruckus was enough to get the others' attention: the four turned to them.

"What's up, Jack?" asked Jessica.

Jehan pouted at Ekaant, saying, "Nothing, don't worry."

"I'm sure something's up Ekaant's sleeve," remarked Siddarth. "But anyway, let's quit joking around." He went to the window and glanced outside. "It looks like it's about to rain. We all better head back home."

"True." Jehan stood up and the Joneses followed suit.

Ekaant stretched his arms at both his sides, before nodding and standing up, as well. "Yes, let's go."

The six children walked down the stairs and bid goodbye to Mr and Mrs Green. It was a Sunday and they were both at home doing a puzzle together in the newspaper at the dining table.

The parents looked up and smiled at the children.

"Oh, are you all leaving?" asked Mrs Green. "It's a Sunday, why don't you stay for dinner?"

"No, thank you, Mrs Green," replied Jessica. "It's actually about to rain now, so we want to go back home before it does."

Mr Green looked out the window from where he sat. "Oh yes, it's getting cloudy... You should go home."

"Thank you, Mr Green," chorused the children. "Goodbye, Mrs Green!"

"Goodbye! Oh!" Mrs Green cleared her throat. "Siddharth, please stay back, will you?"

Josephine glanced around as he hung back, before proceeding to see off the rest of her friends. When she came back, she asked, "What is it, Mumma?"

Mrs Green cleared her throat. When she spoke again, she sounded like she was bringing out her words with careful consideration: "Siddharth, your parents came an hour ago when you were all upstairs – said they had an emergency and had to hospitalise your grandmother."

The parents exchanged glances as the boy digested what he heard.

"Would you like to stay the night here? We'll take you to the hospital if you want."

To all of their surprise, the boy in question had a pleasant smile on his face. "Yes, I would like to stay the night, thank you. And no, no hospital to-day. I'll go when my grandmother calls for me."

Josephine stared hard at her friend, but his face was undiscernible.

She knew how much he loved his grandmother – and though she knew how mean her paternal grandmother was to her and her mother, Siddharth's grandmother was always so kind to him and his parents – something she envied a little now and then. The old Mrs Tiwari was a gentle woman, well liked by everyone in the family and the neighbourhood. Her youth was silent and some people wondered if she had been involved in the underground independence movement. Josephine wondered if she still was.

Nonetheless, Siddharth had always had a great affection for his grandmother. She always bought him sweets and snacks whenever he desired them, which was not many times in a month. She had also once treated the six friends to a meal one evening – with food she had captained herself – and everybody involved had had such a grand time!

And then, suddenly, for a whole month, she hadn't heard of her again. When asked, Siddharth always maintained that she went to her nephew's house to spend some time with them, but Josephine had a small inkling that something must be wrong.

And now, she was absolutely sure of her hunch.

She stepped forward to put a hand on her friend's shoulder. "Whatever it is, you can talk to me. You and I have been friends forever, you know that."

He looked at her and for just a second, she thought there was a flicker of sorrow in his eyes. "Thank you, Jo."

She nodded. "Do you want to eat something? I don't know about you, but I'm hungry. I can heat some cookies mum and I made last night."

This time, the smile he gave was genuine. "That sounds awesome!"

'It'll also take him mind off of his grandmother,' she thought grimly as she led him into the kitchen.