Chapter 80- A Golden End

Bắt đầu từ đầu

On my last attempt to dodge, the tip of the syringe was able to pierce the skin on my arm. I lost my balance and ended up on the ground. However, not everything was awful because on my descent I caught up with my musket, which had been lying on the floor, easier to see than ever.

"You will pay for this, rat. You..."

Not waiting for her to finish, I took my musket and aimed. "I do not think so, bitch!" and pulled the trigger.

The bullet, a sleeping one, went across her shoulder and she fell. A blood stain spreading on her white gown.

The children became restless again. Whispering in agitated tones.

"Go," I told them.

They grew quiet at my voice. Their silence and stare unnerved me. I threw a glance at Wolff, his snout resting over his enormous paws.

"Go find help." I said again.

Whatever men that were left outside this place were too badly injured to go after anyone. Much less a group of children.

Besides, I knew Amelia and Fanny would have gotten help by now. It was just a matter of time for the duke's warriors and the King's guards to arrive.

The boys did not reply, simply nodded and proceeded to the entrance. Passing me in cautious steps, scared of the Empress even when she was unconscious. For a moment, I was afraid they were still in some sort of trance. Yet I could clearly see little smiles across their pale faces. It rubbed me the wrong way, and I did not have an explanation for it.

When I was sure they were out of this dreadful place, I finally took a breath and went to Cedric.

I called for him, being careful to not stir awake a wounded wolf. Cedric was too quiet, too pale, and too motionless. Worry washed over me about the implications of a Blessed Circle on a Moon Prince. But everything felt wrong. There was no pain on his face...

I rushed to his side, shaking him, yet nothing happened. The chains, however, continued to shine with their golden light.

Determined, I took his sword, still bolstered by his waist, by the handle, ready to make an incision big enough to draw blood. Blood that would free him of this place. I fumbled with the sword, which was way heavier than I had expected a child to be carrying. Cedric stirred, and I stopped to look at him.

He was serene, as if in deep slumber. His breath was quiet, and I got lost for a moment, wondering about our strange situation. Why the priests had disappeared, how the children had regained their vision. How that awful syringe broke, but not my bullets.

How Cedric was seemingly alright under the influence of such blessing power. One I prayed for. One that was answered. One that would have melted him into ashes. Like the priests.

A tingling feeling rushed through my arms, and my hands let go of the sword. It clashed violently against the polished floor. Something was wrong. But I did not have time to wonder more, as Cedric's porcelain face was splashed with specks of blood.

My blood.

It came flying from my mouth as a sharp object pierced through my stomach. I looked down, my breath ragged from the effort to see a thin black horn with tinges of red. Though it was difficult to discern, as my mind slipped from me, they seemed to be glinting under the light and I wondered if they were droplets of my blood or part of the weapon.

Laughing at the ridiculousness of it all, I turned back to Cedric, whose eyes were now opening. I called for him one last time before the empty darkness engulfed me. Cold and lonely. Just like the first time.

Like then, I was sure I was going to die.

Here is the chapter. Ending in a bitchy cliffhanger XD

I was supposed to finish this chapter yesterday. Unfortunately, I had one of those nasty headaches (because I was tired) that made it impossible to conclude the task.

Also, if I am being honest, I was not sure about the chapter. Not where it was going (that I was really sure) but how well I had put it together. Hopefully, it is readable and you like it, even when my brain is saying "NO". XD

But what did you think of it?? Good, bad? Can you guess who was behind Lulu's attack? What will happen now? (all answers coming in the next chapters XD)

Until then see you!