Chapter IV: Crime And Punishment

Selina was still asleep as I got up to get her coffee this time. I looked outside and saw that it was another gray day. The storm was coming but it would have to wait. I saw that Selina was still asleep as I made us both cups. Alfred came out and made his own cup and motioned me to sit down.

"So, what happened last night?" He asked,

"She uh, someone got to her last night." I replied, trying to not be obvious for fear of her hearing me.

"Jesus, poor girl. Why is it always her, huh? It always feels like they single her out." He said,

"No more. I won't let it happen. I know she lives just across the wayside, but I don't want her there. You know how the pimps are in this town. They'd tear her apart. I know she's always been a tough one, but I still don't want her hurt, ya know?"

"Yeah, I get you. Look, it's no problem to me if she stays here. I heard you both last night. I hope you can keep her promise to her." He said as he got up. I then heard Selina moan and I got up with both our cups.

"Morning, kitty cat." I said, as I handed her the cup and we both sat down together.

"Morning, pretty boy." She replied as I turned on the TV to see what news was about to come my way. Aside from people in and around the city getting ready for Superstorm Fadda, there was also news of the ongoing turf war. Despite its worsening nature, there is no all-out warfare yet. Just made men being planted by the dozen like flowers. It's the same sad story: Irish vs Italians. A lot of people don't realize but it's just too risky to have an all-out war when you have a business to run. The rest of the news wasn't fun either: insurrections in Corto Maltese, a prison break in Santa Prisca, a riot down south in Mobile, counter-terrorism campaigns all around the country and soldiers active in Iraq, no end in sight to any one of our wars whether it be drugs or terror. I couldn't take much more, and I turned off the TV.

"Hey, you, okay?" Selina asked,

"Yeah, I'm fine. Just can't deal with the news right now." I replied, and that was when I got the call from Jim over the phone.

"Morning."

"Yeah, what's up?" I asked,

"Uh, I don't know how to tell you this, but Flass just called in saying that he's solved the case. Bullock and I are going down to the station to confront the guy. We need the other guy if you know what I mean." He said,

"At 10 in the morning? I'm a strictly nighttime thing." I replied, I try to never go out as Batman during the daytime. For one, it can break the illusion I've set up and two, I'd imagine people wouldn't find me as scary as I am at night.

"Come on, help me out on this, alright? Get changed, now." He said and hung up. I turned to Selina.

"Work?" She asked,

"Work." I replied as I got up and went down to the cave to get changed into the uniform. Harry was there early.

"You're here a bit early, ain't ya?" I said to him, he looked troubled.

"You okay?" I asked and he shook his head no. He looked like he had hit the bottle hard last night.

"What's up, Harry? What's going on?" I asked as if he could tell me, but I knew that he couldn't. Sometimes it slips my mind, but he then took out his notepad and wrote something down.

"Just had a rough night last night. I wanted to say that I'm starting to have doubts about this whole thing. Maybe we should call it quits? I don't think I can work for you for much longer." I read to myself.

"Look, I understand that we both haven't had the best run of luck lately, but I need you now more than ever. There's a killer on the loose Harry. Please, just stay with us, at least through this case." I said and he then began to write some more stuff down.