Chapter 25- Rescue

Start from the beginning

"Carl!" I cry and run to him, tears already falling down my face. He is warm and he is wonderful and he is everything I've ever wanted and now I am in his arms again.

He grunts and falls to the floor, holding me and laughing. I can see his face now. I can see new tears streaking the dirt covering his face. I can see those perfect grayish eyes of his. I can see the person who hasn't left my dreams for the past three years.

He buries his face in my hair as I settle into his lap and just hold onto him for a long, long time.

"I love you," he tells me and I nod. We don't feel the need to answer back anymore. We don't say it to hear the other person say it back. We say it because we want to remind each other.

We break apart and stand, even though I just want to hold him forever.

"There's a little cabin just outside of this town. If we can get there, we'll be safe. We can leave for the prison tomorrow," he tells me, taking my hand and squeezing.

"Okay," I say, my voice cracking. He hands me a bottle of water, looking a bit concerned. I smile at him as I wipe my eyes on my sleeve.

"I'm so sorry we got separated. That shouldn't have happened," he says quietly as I gulp down half the bottle. I shake my head.

"Don't worry, Carl. It wasn't your fault. It doesn't matter anyway. I'm with you again. I thought I wouldn't get to say goodbye," I tell him. I squeeze his hand. The possibility of death hadn't mattered. The possibility of leaving Carl behind was what threatened to break me.

"I know what you mean," he says with a sad smile.

We manage to escape the town smoothly. Carl had apparently used a boom box to draw walkers away from the building I was trapped in. He knew I was in there thanks to the swarming around the building. By avoiding the place the boom box is in, we can avoid the walkers altogether.

We walk quietly, hand in hand, to the cabin he'd found the day before. It's small, with only a main room (containing a kitchen and a couch) and a bedroom. The floors and walls are wooden and their age shows. The floor creaks and dust kicks up as I walk across it. It still feels peaceful somehow. Even as the wind picks up and the sky becomes inky with night.

Carl boards up the door. I check to make sure no one entered the cabin in the time that he was gone. He feeds me a bit of chicken and a small container of rice, then watches with loving eyes as I drink a bottle of water. He offers me more food, but after at least two days of eating practically nothing, I'm not sure how much more I can handle.

Carl takes my hand gently and leads me to the couch, where I curl up into him. There's no such thing as too little space between us.

"I was so worried," he says, pulling me even closer to him. I take his hand delicately and look down at it, resting my head on his chest. It is rough and there is dirt permanently etched into the nail beds. These hands have killed, but they are so gentle when they're cupping my face or are wrapped around me tightly.

"I thought I might not see you again," he says. I nod. I am so tired. Who knew that sitting in a dark room for days could be exhausting?

I wake up to morning light shining on us from a skylight I didn't notice the night before. I don't remember falling asleep. I look up to Carl's face and he smiles softly at me.

"Did you sleep?" I ask, confused. He shakes his head and smooths my hair out. I guess he sees the worry in my eyes, because he pulls me to him and kisses me softly.

He pulls away after a minute.

"There's something I need to tell you," he says. My heart immediately starts thumping.