Part 8: The voice in the woods

My whole body chilled at Eve's words. What! I gasped in a low voice looking at her in shock. Why would she bring me here? She read the question in my eyes and answered without no emotions in her eyes. "I wanted you to know what you are fighting for tomorrow." 

Her words made no meaning to me. My shocked gaze turned into one of confusion, begging for explanation. I don't think I was ready for what she was showing me. If her intention was to boost my morale for tomorrow's fight she was failing miserably. Being reminded that my parents were murdered and I could be next isn't exactly a morale boosting kind of thing. 

"I wanted you to see what happens if you fail tomorrow." She added

"And that is?"

"Your parents killer gets away with it." 

We locked gaze for few seconds before I broke it and looked away. "Are you saying that my uncle and his son killed my parents?"

It is not that the thought haven't crossed my mind. As far as I can tell they are the only ones to benefit from my parents death. 

Eve shook her head. "I am not saying that, and we can't find that out if you are dead." 

She really must mistake me for Veronica Mars. 

"You do know that I am eighteen, not a detective?" 

"I am aware of that, but becoming the Queen means that the investigation of your parents death continues." 

I didn't knows if I wanted answers to that. Why poke a sleeping bear. If I am being honest I just wanted this whole thing to be over, but that is not possible unless the killer is caught, or maybe the master mind, I will not be free. 

"Any news on that?" 

She shook her head again. "Conor is coming up cold. No one is talking." 

"Why?" My gaze was full of curiosity. 

"My guess is that they are afraid to speak. Which makes us think that whoever is responsible is very powerful to strike fear in their heart." 

"In other words my uncle." 

Eve wouldn't admit it out loud, but we both know that it is the only explanation. 

She stilled when she was supposed to say something, and began to look around her with a searching look in her eyes. Something was up. I too looked around and when I came up empty asked. "What is wrong?"

"Nothing. Let's head back to the car."

The urgency in her voice indicated that there was certainly something wrong. My heart plummeted down to my stomach, a dreading feeling engulfed me as I followed behind her towards the car.

"Get down!" she yelled scaring the shit out of me. 

"What!" 

Before I realized what was happening she dragged me to the floor just in time for a bullet to wheeze past my ear.

"What the fuck!" I exclaimed in terror as she pulled me back up and started running for the car. 

More bullets fell around us as we raced towards the vehicle. I was screaming with my hands above my head like it was an umbrella shielding me from the raining bullets. 

"What the fuck is going on?!" I yelled in terror after Eve. She didn't reply and was more intent on getting us to safety. We were almost to the car when our path was suddenly cut off. 

There were four of them. Tall huge men, with dangerous looks in their eyes. It was strikingly obvious that they weren't here for direction to their destination.