Chapter 27-Answered Prayers

Start from the beginning

He looked...

He looks just as infuriating, no matter what the lighting is. She thanked Kosmos that Emera was asleep and did not run off towards Alec again. Her perfect day would be ruined if she got involved in an argument first thing in the morning.

"What kind of adult are you, laughing at another's misery?" Alec spoke to Gael, voice dry tone. She could see the annoyance seeping out of his light blue eyes though.

"An adult who knows how to have fun?"

"This draeling has nearly died four times in the last twelve hours! It's been driving me crazy. There is nothing fun about it!"

Gael bit his lip. "Draelings are resilient. He wouldn't have died from those. It just proves how...different this draeling is from the rest," the man said. "This is the first time I ever saw a draeling nearly choke on a rock, get trapped in a kitchen drawer, choke again but this time on an unpeeled potato...and lastly...forget to use his wings to fly...when he jumped...out the window."

"Again, nothing funny."

"The faces you made were, and trust me when I say that you'll laugh at all this someday."

Areisha saw when Alec gave up on the conversation. He sighed very deeply and focused on the brown little draeling in his arms.

Gael finally remembered that they had an audience, so he nudged Alec forward and introduced him. "This is my new teaching assistant, Alec Arden. You'll see him often as he will be helping me out with my Dorm Supervisory duties."

"Nice to meet you," Alec greeted with a polite nod to his head.

The twins waved at him and Knox asked a question. "Are you the draeling's Draeyer?"

"No," Alec said quickly.

"I think I heard 'Fortunately' after the 'no'."

Areisha heard it too.

"You heard no such thing." Alec looked down and quickly mouthed an apology to the draeling. The little baby looked confused at his apology but then snuggled closer into his arms. Her lips twitched at the adorably dumb look on his little face. I can guess what Gael meant when he said the draeling was...different.

Gael's shoulders shook harder, as he tried to suppress his laughter behind a cough. His efforts were in vain when Alec still heard.

"Will you quit it—huh?" Alec's eyes were quickly drawn to the little brown draeling in his arms again. Areisha raised a brow when he continued to look at the baby, his brows furrowing in confusion. Gael was quick to notice his change of expression and called out.

"What's wrong?" But, Alec did not answer. Instead, his eyes took on a light glow, like he was seeing something that others could not. His gaze lingered on the draeling, before slowly moving towards a tall tree like he was following something. He looked back at the draeling, then the tree again. He tilted his head in confusion.

"Alec?" Gael called out again, tone concerned and worried. The rest of them fell silent as they watched Gael's teaching assistant. He remained quiet for a few more seconds before looking back up at the tree next to them.

"The person on that tree, come down for a moment," Alec said. Everyone's gaze whipped up to the tree that had no one on it. Areisha was confused for a moment before she took a closer look.

It's him.

Gael realized who it was too and called out. "Rei, get down here for a moment, please."

There was a pause before a brief buzzing sound came from the tree. An area on one branch began to distort, slowly revealing the person hiding behind the illusion. A familiar redhead boy sat on the tree, grinning as he looked down at them from above. He swung himself from the branch before landing in a roll, quickly propping himself up on his feet.