《8》

I curse as I grab Kai's wrist and hide behind a table.

It would've been too nice for this night to go smoothly.

The shooting continued as I took my gun that was strapped to my leg.

"That was hot," Kai said as I rolled my eyes.

"Do you have a weapon?" I ask.

He smirked. "Of course, angioletto." He took out his own gun from his suit, ready to shoot.

I heard the gunshots coming closer.

My whole body tensed. "I'll distract the shooter. You get to the car." I said as I prepared to stand up and shoot.

Kai frowned. "I'm not leaving without you."

"I'll be right behind you," I said to reassure him. Kai clenched his jaw and tightened his hold in the firearm. He nods.

"At three, you run towards the car," I said, getting ready. "One..." I heard screams as people were shot "two..." I heard footsteps approaching. "Three!" Kai bolted in a sprint as I stood up, the shooter right in my face.

I try to twist his arm, but he punches me in my stomach with his free arm, taking all the air from my lungs.

He then grabs me by my throat and slams me into the table, making me groan.

I've dropped my gun, and now my hands are fighting his grip around my neck.

I grit my teeth and bring my legs to my chest and then hit him in the chest, making him stumble back.

I quickly take out my blade that I took in case of emergency and throw it at his neck.

The blade sticked into his throat, and choking sounds were coming out of his mouth as blood poured to the ground.

His knees buckle, and in seconds, he was to the ground, lifeless.

I took out the blade out of his throat and picked up my gun as I headed with rapid steps to the car, where Kai was.

Kai was fighting three other guys when i arrived there. He didn't notice me.

I raise my gun and aim for their heads. After the first shot, Kai's head whips to me in surprise, and I saw relief fill his features.

Because his attention was at me, one of his opponents managed to punch him in the face.

I don't think twice before shooting the other two men and they fall to the floor lifeless, at Kai 's feet.

"Are you okay?" Kai asks me, coming over, checking for injuries.

"I'm good, are you okay?" I point to his cheek, where he was hit.

He smiles. "I can take a little punch, angioletto." I roll my eyes.

"We should go before anything else happens." I say as I get into the passager seat.

I notice in the window that I have blood splattered all over my face and neck. I didn't think it would get this messy.

●●●

I've already reported what happened at the event to Lonzo, and he wasn't happy at all about the contract part.

He didn't even care his son was in danger! Some parents amaze me.

I wonder how Kai's childhood was like with a father like this.

When we reached the house, both me and Kai went to our rooms.

I need to shower and take this blood off my body and also talk to my mom as promised.

I take a quick hot shower and then change into a black oversized shirt and some shorts.

I slam myself on the bed and dial my mom. After a couple of rings, she finally answers.

"Hey, mom." I say

"Hey, Mila, what are you doing?" Mom said and I could tell from her voice that she was nervous.

"What's wrong?" I ask, frowning.

"Nothing! There's nothing to worry about, sweetheart!"

"Then what is it about?"

"I can't tell you over the phone, I want to tell you face to face...so I was wondering when you will come back home.."

I sigh "I have a one year contract right now. I'm not sure when I can make it, other than chrismas in six months."

"Okay...but please be here for Chrismas!" She said and it breaks my heart to hear her sad voice.

"I will! I promise. Rhys will come too! Like we always do."

"Good. I miss you, Mila. We miss you."

"I do too, mom."

After I hang up the phone with my mom, I decide to go check on Kai to make sure he is okay.

I knock on his door, and I hear him telling me to come in.

I slowly open the door and see Kai working on something on his laptop. He had some glasses on, and only his sweatpants on.

"Uh, I can come back later if you are busy." I say trying my best to only look at his face and not anywhere down.

"It's fine. I'm almost done anyway." He said closing his laptop and running a hand through his hair.

"I came to check if you are okay...you know after what happened." He smiles.

"I'm good. As I said, I can take a punch. What about you?"

"My back is sore, but nothing too serious. I'll live." I said.

"Are you sure? I can call a doctor to examine your back." He said taking his phone in his hand.

"No no, there's no need. I'm okay. Seriously."

"I'm still calling him. I want my bodyguard to be in a good shape." He smirks.