|14. godspeed|

ANGELINA

ANGELINA

narrative

september 9th, 2022

"A bouquet of flowers isn't going to fix things, Caitlin." The name left a bad taste in Caitlin's mouth. She missed hearing Cait, or CC, or Clark coming from Angelina.

"You're right, but I figured it would be a start." She admitted, walking into Angelina's dorm on her invitation and setting down the bouquet of flowers in the kitchen area. "They're your favorite-"

"White roses, yeah, I know." Angelina cut her off, crossing her arms over her chest as she spoke. "But we're not here to talk about flowers."

"We are not." Caitlin agreed, shaking her head awkwardly.

"Are you gonna talk, or..."

"Yes, right, sorry." Caitlin took a seat at one of the bar stools by the kitchen island. "Double sorry, really. I can't excuse my words or actions in any way. They were mean and rude and disrespectful. I care about you endlessly, Ang." Both women started to tear up. "I just want my best friend back."

Angelina walked around the island and embraced Caitlin. As much as the words stung to hear,- "best friend" - she missed Caitlin.

It hurt Caitlin more to say them.

"I just want mine back too." She muttered into Caitlin's shoulder. "But," She pulled away. "Why would you ever say that?"

"I just...I don't know." She still felt terrible lying to Angelina. But how could she tell her what had happened?

Angelina moved her hand, using it to wipe a tear off of Caitlin's face. "Don't lie to me. Please?"

"I'm not."

"Cait-"

"Godspeed." She suddenly blurted out. Perplexed, Angelina stared at Caitlin until it had clicked.

XXX

July 2nd, 2022

Angelina's birthday

"You're hiding something from me." Angelina stated as the two began walking to Caitlin's apartment. Caitlin had been jittery for days on end and would barely look her in the eyes.

Caitlin nodded. "Guilty."

"What aren't you telling me?"

"That's the thing- I can't tell you." She insisted. "We need a code for when we just can't say something to each other, you know. So the other knows it's not bad, but we know we can't ask questions."

"Okay." Angelina agreed. "Let's make it Godspeed."

"That's not random at all-"

"That's the point- it's so random we'll know what is."

"You are so right, Miss Martin. Also, surprise." Caitlin smiled, swinging open the door, revealing Angelina's surprise party.

XXX

"You're killing me, Clark."

"No questions asked." Caitlin reminded her.

Angelina nodded. "No questions asked."

author speaks

*not proofread*

i just wanted to put this out tonight

but i can't believe caitlin's college

career is over

i'm gonna miss her and kate and gabbie

molly and sharon checking in with 20 seconds

left made me cry

but i'm so proud of everything this

team did...
so sorry they couldn't get one more win

-saralancesbae