Part 6; Past

"I follow you through the dark, can't get enough.

You're the medicine and the pain, the tattoo inside my brain.

And baby, you know it's obvious.

I'm a sucker for you.

Say the word and I'll go anywhere blindly."

Sucker by Jonas Brothers.

Who doesn't know about Debby and Reynaldi's legendary relationship at International Nusantara High School? From students, teachers, to school guards, everyone knew about their relationship. Although they started as friends, many could already guess the end of their story—they would become a couple.

And true enough, they officially became a couple at the age of fifteen. Precisely when they were in the tenth grade. This made people convinced that there was no such thing as friendship between a boy and a girl.

"Deb." Tamara, her classmate, called out.

They were currently on the basketball court for their physical education class.

"How do you manage to put up with Rey so well?" Tamara's unusual question made Debby raise her eyebrows. Seeing Debby's questioning look, Tamara continued, "I'm just curious. You and Rey have known each other since you were kids, you've been in the same school and class until tenth grade, sometimes even went on vacations together—aren't you tired? I don't mean anything by it. I'm purely curious. So if you don't want to answer, it's okay. I understand, and I'm really sorry if my question crossed the line."

Debby laughed at Tamara's question. She understood her classmate's inquiry, considering that several classmates had asked the same thing before.

"No." Debby began. "I don't feel tired of Rey at all. Honestly, I'm surprised that I've been with Rey for so long. I'm even afraid that he might get bored and leave me. Rey is smart, kind, and comes from a prestigious family—I believe plenty of girls would want to be with him. In fact, if Rey wanted to, he could easily find a girl better than me."

This time it was Tamara who laughed at Debby's response. Tamara reached out and gently patted Debby's shoulder.

"Sis, don't underestimate yourself like that. You're beautiful, kind, even though your intelligence is still below Rey's." Debby laughed while nodding in agreement at Tamara's last statement.

"I'm pretty sure, even if it's not Rey, there are still plenty of guys who would line up to be your boyfriend." Tamara added.

"Rey is enough for me, Tam."

"Such a loyal lover I see."

"Yeah."

The two women ended their conversation with laughter.

Actually, if Debby could be honest with her feelings, she wanted to know what it would feel like to get to know another man. More precisely, what it would feel like to have a male friend other than Rey. Because as Tamara said, from childhood until now, Debby had only known Rey.

Since then until now, Debby hadn't been very close with the male classmates. The male classmates acted as if they didn't like Debby, making her feel insecure and uncomfortable around them. If it weren't for Rey willing to accompany her when Debby had to work in groups with her male classmates, Debby might have looked foolish and even more disliked by them.