CHAPTER 84! summers on beaches, so percy could feel the true peace he deserved

Start from the beginning

percy huffed, as if wrestling with his mind "fuck. i won't."

an entire phalanx of cyclopes charged forward, knocking smaller monsters out of the way.

at the cyclopes' feet, a red vein in the ground burst open, spraying the monsters with liquid fire from the phlegethon.

the firewater might have healed mortals, but it didn't do the cyclopes any favors. they combusted in a tidal wave of heat.

the burst vein sealed itself, but nothing remained of the monsters except a row of scorch marks.

"no. i'm sorry. you have to go!" percy decided. "we can't both stay. take annabeth with you."

"stop it!" cherry's eyes were glossy.

the ogre behind percy disintegrated into flames without even a movement from cherry.

the trio stood shoulder to shoulder in the doorway, waiting for the next wave. the exploding vein had given the monsters pause, but it wouldn't be long before they remembered: hey, wait, there's seventy-five gazillion of us, and only two of them.

"well, then," percy said, "you have a better idea?"

annabeth wished she did.

the doors of death stood right behind them, their exit from this nightmarish world. but they couldn't use the doors without someone manning the controls for twelve long minutes.

if they stepped inside and let the doors close without someone holding the button, annabeth didn't think the results would be healthy.

if they stepped away from the doors for any reason, she imagined the elevator would close and disappear without them.

the situation was so pathetically sad, it was almost funny.

the crowd of monsters inched forward, snarling and gathering their courage.

meanwhile, bob's attacks were getting slower. tartarus was learning to control his new body. saber-toothed small bob lunged at the god, but tartarus smacked the cat sideways. bob charged, bellowing with rage, but tartarus grabbed his spear and yanked it out of his hands.

he kicked bob downhill, knocking over a row of telkhines like sea mammal bowling pins.

yield! tartarus thundered.

"i will not," bob said. "you are not my master."

die in defiance, then, said the god of the pit. you titans are nothing to me. my children the giants were always better, stronger, and more vicious. they will make the upper world as dark as my realm!

tartarus snapped the spear in half. bob wailed in agony. saber-toothed small bob leaped to his aid, snarling at tartarus and baring his fangs.

the titan struggled to rise, but annabeth knew it was over. even the monsters turned to watch, as if sensing that their master tartarus was about to take the spotlight.

the death of a titan was worth seeing.

percy gripped his girlfriends hand. "stay here. i've got to help him."

"percy, you can't," annabeth cut in. "tartarus can't be fought. not by us."

"i'll go." cherry volunteered.

tartarus was in a class by himself. he was more powerful than the gods or titans.

demigods were nothing to him.

if percy charged to help bob, he would get squashed like an ant.

but percy wouldn't leave him.

cherry glanced at the interior of the doors.