CHAPTER 79! she only existed to help others. but she had never chosen that life

Start from the beginning

percy could control water, assuming that was water below them.

he could probably cushion their fall, or something. it was their only chance.

the river was getting closer and closer.

suddenly, the water erupted in a massive geyser and swallowed them whole.

cherry blinked. the cold water seemed to sting every piece of her warm skin.

annabeth began to lose her grip, but cherry only held her tighter.

millions of heartbroken voices rang in cherry's ear, and the girl frowned. percy knew that she upset. naturally, she was emotionally vulnerable. there was nothing he could do.

cherry's eyes were glazed over.

there was no hope for her. what was there left to do? nothing.

the water wasn't that even that cold. it was sort of inviting. she could find peace in everything. that was the only way she could lead a simple life; death.

percy used his free hand to grab her face.

his eyes searched hers, but she didn't look back at him. percy created a whirlpool to buoy them up.

annabeth pointed at land, and tried to get him to swim that way.

percy stared at his girlfriend, not hearing a word annabeth was saying. the mere idea that she was upset made him miserable.

"pointless," percy murmured, as he began to sink.

"your immortal girlfriend is gonna fade away and die because you, the son of poseidon, can't get yourself to swim." annabeth argued, trying to get him to snap out of it.

"i'll die with her." percy spoke, his hand still gripping hers.

"you know her. she doesn't want to die."

"she doesn't. she likes painting her nails and tyson. she said she wouldn't miss his birthday."

"so don't let her."

together, percy and annabeth used their collective strength to reach the riverbank. they hauled themselves a shore.

cherry seemed to curl into herself, collapsing onto the dark sand.

her skin began to bleed.

the air was acid, the water was misery, the ground was broken glass.

percy lifted his girlfriend off of the floor.

he stared at her skin.

she would've rather died than wear pants instead of a skirt, but percy really started wishing she'd invest in some sweatpants.

maybe some armor.

percy held his girlfriend in his arms, his eyes searching her whole face.

she looked so.. blue.

he wondered if it was really his favorite color after all. not like this. it made him sickly.

"cherry. cher, get up. please." percy pleaded. "the ten thousand dollar purse that you spent years trying to buy is gone."

cherry's eyes remained still.

"please, cherry, i need you." percy begged.

the fog began to lift from her eyes, slowly.

she studied him. the dripping wet blonde hair that stuck to his forehead. he looked blue. he was shivering.

"percy." cherry managed.