Ivan.

I suppose it was my problem, because I met The Stranger again, in a totally different way. It's the morning before the... incident, and I am sipping my coffee with more sugar than coffee and the doorbell rings. I distinctly remember thinking, Baba Yaga, the Firebird, and the Gray Wolf are coming to drag me to deal with my problems. Well, shucks. I pull open the door and there is a man in a black suit standing there. I almost closed the door again.

"... do you have a warrant?"

The man's face had remained unmoving. He had handed me a letter and left. I had stared after him like an idiot. I had closed the door and moved back to my cup of sugar mixed with caffeine to debate with myself whether to open the envelope. I opened it, landing me in my current position. Standing at a formal party, which I'm pretty sure no one cares about, in a suit, which I don't care about, with my employer, who apparently invested in a salvage that I'm pretty sure she doesn't care about either.
-
I smile awkwardly at a random person and turn towards the refreshment table. As I am sipping water as politely as possible, I see The Stranger stride through the entrance and stand to the side of a man, who turns and tells them something with a smile on his face. The Stranger looks apologetic, but- how can I put this; it seems like... their smile is on the wrong setting...? The Stranger spots me by the refreshment table and says something to the man, who nods and says something back. Then, I realize: Cra- Crinkle, with a capital 'C'. This is not my problem! I came here to eat free food and judge people out of the corner of my eye, not to find a random person who keeps appearing in my life and who I refuse to deal with. Before I know it, The Stranger reaches me.

"We've met before, haven't we?" The Stranger's voice is light and airy, "Can I get a name?"

"Um- I- Ivan," I stutter, because what? why? "you can call me Ivan."

The Stranger regards me curiously, but I think they probably know all of my deepest, darkest secrets. If I were anyone else, I would've thought that The Stranger were some random employee at the party, with their white blouse, black vest, and black dress pants, but now... I'm not sure. The Stranger's eyes are empty. Completely devoid of emotion. It's weird.

"Hello, Ivan. I'm Yao." The Stranger- Yao smiles. It's off-putting, seeing someone smile such a warm, welcoming smile which reaches everywhere but their eyes. I startle as Yao reaches out to me for a handshake. I take it and we shake hands. What the Hooha. This is so awkward.
"I would like to talk to you privately, Ivan." Yao motions for me to follow them. What gender are they? Eh, I'll figure it out later. The creaking of a door interrupts my thoughts. Yao holds open the door and waves me inside.

The room is modestly sized, with a rectangular table and wooden chairs on a grayish carpet floor. Yao sits down, and I sit down across from them, folding my hands across my lap.

"So, Ivan. I would like to talk to you about matters regarding your apparent immortality."
-
heheheheheh