Chapter 25: A Lone Ranger

Start from the beginning

====================

[A Few Hours Later, Beginning Of Route 203...]

It was a gorgeous day. The sun was shining down upon the Sinnoh region in full force, a rare event in the usually frigid land. There was a blue sky as far as the eye could see, not a single cloud in sight, and a warm breeze swept through the leaves and bushes...

The nice weather was a good distraction away from the events a week prior, the intensive fighting that took place in Eastern Jubilife, and the subsequent announcement one day later by Sinnoh's Champion, Rowan. They were cracking down on the organised gangs and everything let out a big sigh of relief, glad to know that things were going on to thwart further terrorist activity. However, while that may have been the prevailing feeling, many were still shaken up by the event, and there was a marked rise in young Pokémon trainers leaving the profession for other things.

Most described their sudden departure as a fear for not only their lives, but for the lives of their Pokémon, and that they hadn't set out to fight criminals, but to catch, tame and battle in friendly, competitive tournaments. Were they wrong to leave? Not necessarily. The very fact that such a big tragedy occurred, whether or not Rowan promised to improve regional security, was a major pause for many young folk. It was their decision at the end of the day, and their decision to make it alone. It certainly didn't help with the already declining enlistment figures, but that was bound to happen...

There was some good news though. A conference had been called in Hearthome City, within the Eastern portion of Sinnoh. All the region's top trainers were to be assembled, be them the Champion himself, the Elite Four, the Gym Leaders, up-and-coming trainers, Ranger affiliated and members of the International Police. It was an attempt to establish a unified command structure, and a plan that would fully lay-out a plan of action so that everyone was finally on the same page.

It was no coincidence that it took place in Hearthome of all places, the second largest city in Sinnoh, and the eight largest city in the world, just after Jubilife. It was an older city, one that was created as a place for all people and Pokémon, and it quickly transformed into a regional hub of trade and commerce. Consistently voted as the most desirable place in Sinnoh, it was also the home of Sinnoh's largest Contest Hall, where all the largest Pokémon Contests were held and broadcast across the entire island. If the Pokémon Association wanted to present an image of stability then making that step in Hearthome was the smartest choice.

And yet, for four Pokemon in particular, they were not concerned with the goings on across the other side of Mount Coronet, rather, they were occupied with a much more important issue...

Training.

"CHIM!" Chimchar raced out from under a heavy underbrush, racing forward on all-fours, pounding the floor with every leap and bound with a fierce determination. The fire that sat upon his back was burning brighter than ever before. Those were the flames of the Pokémon who was going to win no matter what!

And yet, dashing from out the greenery was another Pokémon, a small bluish penguin who refused to be shown up by the excitable fire monkey. "PIP!" She screeched out, her small beady eyes locked onto the target before her. Chimchar turned to look back at her and ran backwards, sticking out his tongue and pulling down his bottom eye-lid in a mocking fashion. Piplup's eyes erupted with a rageful flame and from out her small beak an explosive blast of water began rapidly building, a swirling vortex that tracked the monkey's movements...

Despite how much Chimchar moved he simply couldn't seem to shake her, but that didn't mean he would simply give up. After only a few moments Piplup unleashed her beam and it crashed forward with a surprising amount of force for a Pokémon her size. If it hit the fire-type then it certainly would've done considerable damage, if it hit. Unfortunately, Chimchar's athleticism was simply too great, and with the nimbleness of an acrobat, he jumped and swerved and raced around the bolts with a general ease.