Chapter 9: Responsibility

(AN: Just wanted to make a note. I really appreciate all the comments left on the last chapter, didn't realize it would hit so hard. I'll try and continue keeping that quality up. Also, I've been waiting for Pokémon Z to come out for over a decade now, haven't played the recent games but they've reeled me back in God dammit! Hope you enjoy...)

==================

"Looks like we've switched roles, huh." [Y/N] said, quietly chuckling to himself, but it wasn't a humoured laugh, far from it. It was more of just a means to cut through the tension, a coping mechanism to avoid the glum situation they had all found themselves in...

Cynthia laid down before him, concealed under a thick blanket pulled up high. She wore a large white wrap around her temple, the wound from the attack slowly healing, but the pain remained strong. It covered one half of her face, much like her blonde bangs usually did, hiding one of her grey eyes. There was a sadness to her expression, a feeling of uselessness, and shame. How she had been immediately taken out of the battle, and had to have been protected, just like some child. How could a useless child become the greatest Pokémon trainer in the entire region? And here was [Y/N], already recovering from his own injuries. It was a depressing thought for the girl who had had so many expectations placed upon her shoulders.

He didn't like seeing her in such a state, even if they hadn't known one another for that long. There wasn't a malicious bone in her body, that much was clear, she was a good, pure person. Perhaps somewhat naïve, but he was sure she saw it as seeing the best in people. It was why she didn't ignore the strange amnesiac lost in the woods, and invited him home with no hesitation. It was why she was so excited about venturing off far and wide, meeting new people and exploring distant places. It was evident enough by the Gible that clung to her night and day, refusing to leave her side. They were as close as close could be, and when the trainer hurt, so did their partner.

"Don't worry." [Y/N] spoke. "I'll stay here for as long as you want me to, until you get better." He tried to make her feel better, but her face remained hard. "And then, we'll get out of this small town, and we can go explore Sinnoh, just like you wanted." Cynthia let a small smile fall upon her lips, however, there was more there that she wanted to say...

"[Y/N] I--" Cynthia spoke, but she recoiled, not sure how to exactly voice her words. "[Y/N]." She said with an unusually serious tone. "I'm really sorry, I'm a terrible person." An uncanny laugh left her, one filled with shame. He looked at her with confusion, raising a suspicious brow. "I haven't met someone my age in a while who I've been able to talk to honestly. And, Mina told me that you pulled me out from the laboratory before it collapsed. If you hadn't shown up, then..." Her expression darkened. "I would be dead right now."

"Even though we only met a few days ago, I would consider you a close friend."

It was a sobering thought, but one [Y/N] didn't want to lord over her. "Cynthia, come on now." He said. "You helped me just as much when you found me. I'd probably be starving in the woods right now if you hadn't shown up. If it makes you feel any better, I was just repaying the debt that I owed. You aren't a terrible person at all, the meds are probably making you think funny."

"I should feel so grateful towards you, more than any other person I've ever known, but--"

"There's also a part of me that hates you, as stupid as that sounds."

"Hate?" [Y/N] responded with a concerned voice, he was beyond confused now. What had he done to have been hated? Cynthia looked away, staring out through one of the windows. There was a misty gloss falling over her eyes. "I don't deserve to hate you, after what you did, but a part of me does." She said earnestly. "I've been training for years to be a trainer, day and night, pushing everything else aside, to be the very best. To impress my grandmother, and my little sister, and Professor Rowan, and all those who have helped me get to where I am now."