Chapter 26 - Finding a cure

Chapter 26 - Finding a Cure

"What's wrong with her?" I ask Gothi as I enter the hut, seeing the gang here, and Astrid on the medical bed.

"She's internally bleeding" says Gothi in a sigh. "

"No" I whisper, covering my mouth with a hand as I try and comprehend what is happening.

Astrid...is internally bleeding...

"How do we cure it?" asks Hiccup, his eyes wide in fright.

"I know!" says Tuff, raising his hand. "I think...that maybe...we have to...maybe...wait, what were we talking about?"

"I can't remember either" says Ruff, looking around. 

"Oh! Maybe if we cut her open, we can fix the bleeding inside!" says Snotlout, looking proud of himself for the idea.

Hiccup looks angered by the comment, and he sighs with frustration. "No, no, I'm pretty sure that would just...I don't know...maybe make her BLEED MORE!"

"Hiccup" I say, putting my hand on his shoulder and warmth ripples through me, and he already looks a little calmer. "Try to breathe. The last thing we need is you to get agitated about this."

"The Bodko plant."

We all turn to the white haired boy, Dallen, as he stands in the entry to the hut. He gulps, rubbing his neck as his eyes scan the room, not even looking directly at us.

"The Bodko plant, formally known as the Golden Herb. It heels her Titanateing."

"Her what?" says Hiccup, and his confusion turns to anger. "And who are you?! Wait, you were the one who found Astrid....you probably--"

"Hold up!" I say, silencing Hiccup and drawing all attention to me. "He saved her...he found her. He might know what's going on with her. He seems trustworthy."

"Yeah, seems" mutters Hiccup.

"He is right" says Gothi. "She's Titanateing."

"What do you mean Gothi?" I ask her.

Everyone looks to me, puzzled. Hiccup furrows his eyebrows. "Ember, Gothi didn't say anything."

I raise an eyebrow. "Er, well, duh! of course she did! I just heard her."

Gothi steps forward, staff in hand and she draws symbols in the ground, and my eyebrows furrow in complete confusion.

"She wants us to leave" says Hiccup, his voice sounding strange, and he looks to me and Dallen. "But she wants you two to stay."

I bite my lip, and Hiccup and the gang leave, looking confused, although, Hiccup looks generally pissed.

"Remember, cutting her open would help" says Snotlout as he leaves, and the twins say something but I don't catch it.

When they are gone, Dallen and I turn to Gothi, and she sighs, going over to Astrid. Dallen and I share a glance before we walk up to Gothi. The elder places a hand on Astrid's head, sighing.

"My mother used to be a sorceress" says Gothi, her hand still on Astrid's forehead. "When I was a young child, I was struck by a mysterious, metal dragon, and I was dying. My mother used some enchantments, potions and other brews to save me. She was able to, but there was one thing that could not be fixed. My voice."

I stand here, stunned, and Dallen is just looking to the ground, looking a little confused and awkward.

"But she was able to teach me how to speak through minds" she says, and it's then I realise that her lips aren't moving.