Chapter 23 - Shirtless...again

E M B E R

For a moment, I can't breathe.

Everything swirls around me, consuming my thoughts and feelings, plunging them into deep hole inside of of me.

Hiccup...is...a Wildsoul.

But...he's not a Wildsoul.

He has the wings. The tongue of fire. The slit, green eyes. The tail. He sure looks like a Wildsoul.

But...he isn't.

Whatever just happened was not normal for a Wildsoul. And I would sense the Wildsoul inside of him. But he did have the whole 'Dark Flu' thing, but then again, he didn't recover straight away, and he had that ages before he changed.

"Far out" I growl to myself. "Everything is so messed up."

I transform to a human, and I start to chase after him. It's still the dead of night, and the rain and thunder still roars and patters the ground.

I am silent as I make my way through the woods, keeping a sharp eye out for any movement, or any green fire.

Thunder strikes, hitting a near by tree and I jump back in shock, holding in a small yelp. I keep going, trying to shake the weird feeling that someone, or something, is watching me.

I see light ahead, and I sprint forward, bursting through the line of trees. I stop for a moment, breathing heavily.

Oh no...

I'm back at the village.

Hiccups somewhere here.

And I doubted he's changed back.

I clench my fists, walking through the village stiffly, rain pouring down my shoulders. I scour the place; from every crack to every crevasse, looking for the first Dragon Rider.

Technically I was a Dragon Rider before him, but he grew up in a village that hated dragons. But I did not. I grew up, thinking that dragons aren't vicious creatures. So it was easier for me to train, excuse me, befriend, a dragon. So in a way, he is, and should be, called the first Dragon Rider.

I mentally scold myself for going off track.

I spot Gobber lumbering some wood through the rain, and I quickly walk towards him. He sees me, grinning with his thick, crook teeth.

"Aye! There ya are Ember. I was wondering--"

"Have you seen Hiccup?" I ask, butting in.

He blinks at me for a moment, a little shocked at my question. He slowly raises his hammer-hand, pointing to the mountain with the large stone Stoick.

I furrow my eyebrows. "What--"

"He's with his dad" he replies softly before walking off, totally forgetting that he, himself, had a question or such for me.

I look back up to the Stoick, wincing internally, before racing up there to him.

••~•~••~•~••~•~••~•~••~•~••~•~••

"I've failed you" he whispers, his voice shaky from tears. "I...I f-fail...I failed you..."

I freeze as I hear Hiccup.

I'm standing behind him as he sits on the edge of the cliff, his legs dangling over the side. The cliff is right beside Stoicks head.

Lightning strikes once, lighting up the sky for a split second. The rain still patters down, and it absolutely soaks Hiccup. His wings lay limp behind him, and his tail hangs over the edge.