|13| champagne and cocktails

Start from the beginning

"Says you," I scoff, although he did clean up nice in his black tuxedo and loafers, his hair was growing out so under the blonde dye I could see his dark hair growing out

We sat and soon after the event began. A full orchestra came out first on stage and did a lengthy performance after that an opera singer that I recognised as a parent from my school did a wonderful song and lastly He came out.

Applause echoed through the theatre and it only quietened down when he sat down to perform. A single piano was at the stage's centre. He began with an original piece that calmed the whole room down, it was emotional, it was peaceful, it was beautiful. It was the first sonata I ever listened to, and why I wanted to be a pianist.

The second piece was exhilarating, with dips in pitch and intensity. It put you on edge and kept you wanting more. It made the audience want to clap and cheer but they couldn't, at least not yet.

The third and final piece was one I knew all too well. It's kind of a mix of the first and second sonata, with alluring notes but also soothing ones. It's why he became famous and highly acclaimed. It's his masterpiece. He calls it 'Pays de merveilles' (wonderland).

As the piece concluded he stood up and bowed, the whole room gave him a standing ovation clapping, saying bravo!, and throwing roses. As everyone in my box stood up and clapped I found myself doing so as well but my limbs felt lifeless and my vision went blurry. Before I knew it my legs were taking me to the restroom.

I looked in the mirror suddenly hyper aware of myself and my features, I felt like shit. I pulled myself away from the mirror, as my eyes began to water, to an empty stall. I steadied my hasty breathing and exited the stall.

Pull yourself together.

I remember who and where I am and walk out the restroom.

The theatre had velvet red carpet on the floor and gold detailing on the walls. Although the view wasn't new to me I took my time to admire the new paintings put up and the multitude of chandeliers.

Taking out my phone I received the texts my mom sent me telling me to come to theatre's grand hall. I walked up one of the grand imperial staircases and made my way to the hall. The party was already in full swing, filled with ebullient music and servers walking around with trays of champagne and tiny foods. The members of the general public had gone home so only the well-bred remained.

I walk in and notice some stares and whispers but I go about my business anyways, I knew all my friends would be present except Deniz so I purposefully look for them.

"Nermana! Omg you look so good! I love the hair," Nalani squeals. The glam team gave me a soft glam makeup look and blew out my curls to waves. I look to Nalani and audibly gasp.

"Says you, have you seen your dress!" I gawk at her champagne silk dress that she paired with her Vivienne Westwood earrings. Her hair cascaded down her back in light waves. I learned to appreciate her outfits even more after I found out she didn't have a stylist.

"Hey girlies," Divya says out of nowhere. She was rocking a burgundy corset dress.

"I love it!!!" Nalani exclaims.

"The red compliments you so well, such a good choice," I add.

"Have you guys seen Dima and Asterin?" Divya asks.

And of course that's when they both decide to grace us with their presence.

"Wow," Asterin twirls me and Nalani around gawking at us before complimenting all of us.

"Stop! You look so good," Divya exclaims.

"I know! Who told you to come in all slutty in black," Nalani scolds. And she was right he had on a satin black button top with gold jewellery.

"If my man wants to hoe about, let him," I defend as I hold onto Asterin's upper arm.

"Guys what about me, I feel left out," Dima rolls his eyes.

"Oh! Didn't see you there, I mean I guess you look good," I jokingly reply, he wore a white button up with a black suit, a few buttons were undone so I could see his bruised neck.

"You look really hot," Divya reassures.

"You might want to button up a little more though, I can see what the last person you were with was devouring," Nalani giggles referring to his neck and chest.

"Oh shit!" He laughed as he hastily buttoned up.

We enjoyed the party but were constantly broken up when our parents would call us over to converse with potential business partners.

"Come along dear, someone wants to talk to you!" Mother stated as she escorted me to the person.

Before we reached the person I noticed someone, he looked at me intently so I did the only thing I could think of doing at the time. I flee.

"Sorry mom, I need to do something, I'll text you later," I strut out of the hall to the staircase. I hear footsteps so I try to quicken up my pace but I fail to do so before being pulled back. We stare at one another, I use this time to study his features. He looks the same but subtly different. His hair has gotten darker, his eyes deeper, his lips fuller. I don't notice how long I've been staring until I see him smirk, with that I push away crossing my arms over my body that now feels exposed.

"You look ravishing mon coeur," He begins, "How long has it been? 5 years? Because it felt like eternity."

"4 years," I return already checked out of the conversation. My teeth were unintentionally clenched.

"Wow, and how have you been, I've seen the tabloids so I'm aware you've been.. getting around," he smiles but I know it's fake.

"Why, does it bother you? Well I don't give a damn," I reply.

"Calm down, I don't care either, but it's just disappointing to see you giving yourself out so freely like some birthday cake, but then again shouldn't I just be proud I got the first piece," he leaned over to my ear to whisper the last part before chuckling.

"Don't talk to me like I'm loose or something, I'm not, just because I'm in a relationship doesn't automatically mean I am intimate with them," I defend but I regret it immediately it leaves my mouth.

"Interesting," he smirks, "so you haven't been with any of those boys?"

I turn to leave but he grabs my face.

"Answer me, Nermana."

"No," I sputter out in a fright.

"Beautiful," he smiles before placing a kiss on my mouth.

I push him off in a frenzy, "Don't you dare touch me again," I glare at him before quickly walking off to the hall. My mind is going places I don't need it to go but I try as much as possible to blink back the tears begging to fall out. Before walking in I take one last deep breath, plaster a smile on my face and walk in with grace.

⚜️⚜️⚜️

A/N: 1700 words? Damnnn but I hope you enjoyed this chapter.