Make the Friendship Bracelets

Start from the beginning

Now, whenever one of them couldn't sleep at night, they would leave open one of their bed curtains as a sign that they could use some company. Draco felt privileged to get to know a more private side of Harry, and he didn't take Harry opening up to him lightly. He knew it was a massive sign of trust, and Draco wouldn't break it. Harry had all of Draco's Slytherin loyalty.

October had never been a good month for Harry. As the end of the month neared, his nerves were as frayed as Draco's bracelet to him had become. It was a constant source of comfort for Harry, he quite literally treated it like a lifeline, his fingers constantly finding purchase on the braided strands.

It was a Friday, and Harry had not slept well at all. Halloween was drawing near, and he was listlessly drifting through the day. Draco hadn't been near him the whole day, and Harry would have been more worried if he was able to stay awake long enough to dwell on it.

It was in Potions where the panic truly set in. Harry absentmindedly ran his fingers over his bracelet, froze, and then repeated the motion before looking down in horror. His bracelet was gone, and Harry was so overcome with guilt and grief that he covered his mouth, fighting a wave of nausea, and ran out of the classroom. He collapsed on the floor outside of the room, and desperately began searching the corridor for the bracelet.

When it didn't turn up, he stumbled into his room and began throwing his few possessions around. If it wasn't in his room, Harry didn't know where it could be. Tossing his pillow in frustration, he gasped when he saw the edge of the bracelet sticking out from his pillowcase. Harry didn't even think before he threw himself out of bed and onto the floor to retrieve the bracelet. It was at this time that Draco had entered the room, unbeknownst to Harry.

"Oh thank Merlin! I thought I lost you, I was so upset. It would break my heart to tell Draco I lost the bracelet because he made this for me and it's my favorite thing I've ever been given."

Harry's voice cracked as he leaned against the wall, closing his eyes.

"And now I'm so mental I'm talking to an inanimate object. By Godric I need help."

Draco watched quietly as Harry kept running his fingers over the bracelet he had made for him. His heart had never felt this full. Draco had thought Harry only wore the bracelet to be nice. He never realized how much it actually must have helped the other man.

"Potter,?" Draco inquired, voice more gentle with the other man than it had ever been.

Harry's eyes shot open in a wide panic.

"I'm sorry for the mess I'll clean it up right now-"

Draco took out his wand, and with a flick of his wrist everything was back in its rightful place. He watched as Harry wiped his eyes, trying to cover up that he had been crying.

"Are you okay? You left class in a hurry," Draco asked carefully.

"My answer depends on how long you've been standing there."

"Since you almost threw a pillow in my face."

"Oh. Well that's embarrassing."

Walking over to Harry carefully, Draco held out a hand. Harry took it without question. Instead of letting Harry's hand go or walking him to his bed after helping him up, Draco instead brought Harry over to his own bed, greatly surprising the Gryffindor.

"I'm sorry," Draco spoke.

"For what?"

"Being distant this morning. I saw you weren't wearing the bracelet anymore and I thought you hated it and were only wearing it to be nice at first but you finally got tired of it..."