Make the Friendship Bracelets

It was silly really, the way that such a small action impacted Harry this greatly. First, he and Draco Malfoy were roommates in their eighth year at Hogwarts. Their room was neatly divided down the middle, split almost by an invisible string on that first day back. Harry's bed was against the wall on the far left, Draco's a mirror image on the right.

Second, the two men spent most of their time, alone together, in a peaceful? silence. Harry never thought Draco Malfoy of all people could be a strong, comforting presence in his life, but here we are in the month of October, where beds have slowly but surely traveled across the room to be closer to one another. Now, only their nightstands stand between their beds, pushed closer together for quiet conversations during nights where they find themselves trapped in the past.

If you asked Harry, he could name the catalyst that seemingly pushed him to take Draco in as his friend. It had been the end of the first week of classes when they finally stopped politely avoiding the other and staying out of their way. Their only interactions up until this point had been fetching a cold glass of water for the other once they had awoken from nightmares. No words were exchanged.

Draco had been terrified after that. He was waiting for the other shoe to drop, but it never came. He hadn't expected this quiet kindness, not from Potter. So, when muggle studies had taught him the art of friendship bracelet making, he thought it couldn't hurt to make one for his roommate. An olive branch he had reasoned, never thinking it would bring them close.

After carefully weaving the bracelet for Potter, Draco figured why not take it a step further? Both men suffered from anxiety and nightmares to name a few lingering effects from the war, and Draco was an expert at brewing calming draughts. He loved experimental magic as well, and under Slughorn's supervision, he was able to magically embed the properties of the calming draught permanently into the bracelet. He tested the bracelet for one day before shyly giving it to Harry.

"What's this?," Harry asked softly, closing the textbook he was reading to give Draco his full attention.

"It's a friendship bracelet. We made them in muggle studies. I thought... maybe... you'd like to have it? Look, I have one too!," Draco rushed. "I worked with Slughorn to magically interweave a strong calming draught into the strands. I tested it last night and it seems to work. You don't have to wear it. I guess it's kind of stupid actually. I just thought- well I suppose it doesn't matter what I thought I'll just go and-"

"Malfoy. Are you done now?," Harry questioned gently.

Draco could make out amusement in Harry's eyes, and he nodded.

"That was very kind of you. I would love the bracelet, if you're still offering it."

"Yes, of course. Here."

"You made this?"

"I did."

"It's beautiful. Very intricate. Thank you Malfoy. Tie it on for me?"

"I can do that."

Draco didn't know why he was feeling so embarrassed all of a sudden, but he couldn't even look at Harry anymore.

"Oh. Oh wow. I can actually feel that."

"I hope it helps."

"It already has," Harry replied, making eye contact with Draco as he gently ran his fingers over the bracelet.

That was the start of... something. Draco was hesitant to label it, but he and Potter were at least friends. Harry found himself gravitating towards Draco once again, but not because he felt like he was up to something. No, he was feeling protective over Draco and wanted to keep his roommate and newfound friend safe.