Guarding Your Heart

{Inspired by the tumblr post from @/the-modern-typewriter: "I think you need to taste this for me," the monarch said

{Inspired by the tumblr post from @/the-modern-typewriter: "I think you need to taste this for me," the monarch said. They shoved the exquisite cake in their guard's direction."

I tried attaching the photos and I see them on my end but some of you aren't able to see them it seems.

Dedicated to bel_luv who helped me come up with this idea 2 years ago}

The Malfoy family had been in power for many years. Family relations were kept quite... close... and no one dared to overstep the royal family. Draco's father had passed sometime ago, and his mother had passed the crown onto Draco, preferring to rule quietly behind her son. With Draco's coronation came the promotion of his personal guard, Harry Potter, whose family had served the Malfoys for almost as long as they'd been ruling.

Draco had many guards doting on him and protecting him over the years, but Harry was his favorite. He'd known the other man since he was a boy, observed his training from his bedroom window, watched as he grew from a scrawny boy into a man.

The first time Harry had gone out on a mission, he came back with a bleeding forehead, a gaping injury that had scarred, and Draco hated it. Hated worrying about Harry for the weeks he was gone. No soft smiles exchanged across the corridor, no light and casual brushes against Harry's side from Draco, a coy smile on his lips.

No, when Draco personally took to Harry's care, he vowed that Harry would never be hurt ever again. That first mission was his last. Draco quickly found a new, better, safer job for hi- for Harry where Draco knew he would be protected.

It was the haunted look in Harry's eye that did it for Draco. Harry wouldn't even look at the other man until Draco held his face between his own hands.

"Harry," he had pleaded.

"The ones who killed my father did this to me."

"You're staying in my chambers tonight, you're unwell."

"But the others-"

"I don't care about the rumors they may spread. It's not an insult, I could only be so lucky as to end up with someone as kind and caring as you. Besides, it's no secret that you're my favorite."

Harry's soft chuckle had Draco continuing.

"You have been the only one to treat me as I have wished to be treated. When I asked for no titles, when I asked for a friend, you provided. Let me return the favor now."

"Okay, Draco."

"I'll keep you safe Harry, I promise you."

"I believe you."

And keep Harry safe Draco had. He always had tasks for Harry to complete so that he wasn't bored. Draco arranged for Harry's education to be furthered by his own private tutors. If Harry knew he was being set up to be Draco's personal advisor, he didn't let on to it.