Chapter 3

⋆˚ఎ ☆ ໒˚⋆ 

The thing about having two moms, is that people don't really seem to understand it's just like having a mom and a dad.

They love you all the same, even though Arinas skin color is a different color then theirs and she isn't directly related to them like Ronan is, she's still their daughter and they're still her parents. They go to her school events, they support every hobby she'll ever have, they have movie nights, they support her financially and emotionally. At a young age, it was actually hard to grasp why people in towns stared with a disgusted look at the two women holding hands with a south asian daughter walking beside them, or why the kids at school called her moms weird words before getting sent to the principal's office.

Even with all this, she never resented her moms or wished she had a different life. They are her moms, and they love her.

So she tries her hardest to be the best kid they could have.

Helping with the kids, helping with the cleaning, and also helping with the shopping.

She makes the lists most of the time as they're at work so often and can never really remember when they run out of something, but Arina knows. Especially when she's making dinner and suddenly has to call Austin to borrow some salt because apparently they're out of that. So it goes on the list, along with many other things until her parents have a day off work and can make the trip. If she's not busy, she goes with them just to help and spend time with them, and this happens to be one of those times.

"Hey hon?"

She turns her attention away from the poem book in her hand, looking around before she focuses on her moms. Mama chuckles, pointing into the air where a few aisles away, the cocoa powder she needs lies waiting on a shelf.

"Can you go get the cocoa powder?" She nods, erasing a word in the poem as she walks away. Now, yes, this is one of the few times she gets to spend time with her moms where they aren't running on two hours of sleep or trying to keep her siblings out of trouble, but this is a very important poem. It's about midnight rain.

The supermarket is a small one, the one her and Austin usually go to get snacks at with their pocket change after school or the one she takes Jessie and Parker to when they need something. It's also the one the Swifts shop at. Not that it matters though.

"Woah, beautiful. Watch out." Someone chuckles, placing a hand on her shoulder to stop her from running into a pop up stand for minty toothpaste. She didn't mean to, and an embarrassed blush creeps onto her face. Maybe she should really listen when her mothers says she needs to get her head out of the books.

"Sorry. I..." Arina looks up, but the words and awkward laughter die down in her throat when she sees who it is.

Taylor.

The blonde is accompanied by Austin, who stares at Arina with a blank expression before he walks away in the other direction. That's been happening a lot lately, and Arina would rather not admit that this hurts almost as much as her "breakup" with Taylor did. He'd ignored her for the full night after he revealed he knew about her past relations with his older sister, and then he was gone in the morning when she woke up. He'd ignored her at school, even started walking to school just to avoid Arina who still waits at the bus stop for him.

If she had known he'd be this hurt over it, she never would've fallen for Taylor.

Maybe.

Depends on if the girl was wearing her gray cowboy hat or not.

She is now, and she takes it off so Arina can get a better look at her, just like she did the first night they kissed. It's Arinas favorite hat of hers, and the blonde even let her write her initials on the inside of it so she could "always be there." with Taylor. Maybe that's why the songwriter flips it over in her hands, giving her ex a clear view of the small letters inside the cap.