Journal- September 14, 1866

Something terrible has happened! I am sickened to my core. I can barely write. If I was not there, I would scarcely believe it. This reeks of Mr. Jeffery's doing.

Writing this down I still can't believe that it's true. Today, Mr. Jeffrey cornered my Coyote in the fields in front of everybody. He yelled for able hands to capture, and drag Coyote to his cabin. Such a ruckus, was the setting of dramatics, that whoever was not present for the initial defamation were flocking to this spectacle.

They tried to drag Coyote to his cabin, but he shrugged them off. His large frame was too much for the two small ranch hands that tried to man handle him. He stretched to his full height, and fought them off. Landon begun the walk to his cabin with dignity, while everyone watched with peeked curiosity.

Mr. Jeffery yelled at the growing crowd, "Look here, come witness what was found!"

I peered closer, fear gripping my heart. There poured out on the floor besides my Coyote's cabin entrances, were the missing belongings rumored to be stolen. Outraged I bolted to my Coyote's side, but before I could reach him strong arms held me back. I looked at my capture's hands .

Papa! I pleaded at his iron grip, "Please, he needs me!" I yelped!

My Father's answer was a simple shake of his head. I glared at him, and he darted his eyes away from mine. Landon's voice brought me back to the present. He was not backing down from Mr.Jeffery's accusations. His voice was strong and steady, and he declared himself innocent. Mr.Jeffery's' mocking laughter pricked along my skin. I looked around at our community of peers, and comrades, no one was in my Coyotes corner. I felt such anger at them all. I yelled, "Cowards! " My Mama was swift as she tried to take me away , but it was Coyotes soft words telling me it would be alright, that deflated my outburst .

While my Coyote was staring his beautiful sky blue eyes at me, Mr Jeffery , that loathsome, fat toad struck him in the gut. I cried out, "Stop!" Mama started dragging me away, while the crowds eyes darted between Mr. Jeffrey, Landon, and myself. I could see the confusion, and open curiosity of these cowards that refused to help my Love.

With Landon on his knees, clutching his stomach, Mr Jeffery's two lackeys that were unable to subdue Coyote earlier, took this time to get their revenge. Both men short in stature, wearing filthy hand -me -downs, started a barrage of kicks on Landon. He was unable to do nothing against the full force of their attack. With a solid kick to his head, My love lay still on the ground. Covered in dirt, sweat, and blood he looked helpless.

Through my tear, streaked face, I watched as Mr.Jeffery had Landon dragged off the property, and told the rest of us, "Let this be warning to all who dare to steal from me!"

I held in my resolve! I know in my heart that this is not my Coyote's doing. After the big spectacle in the yard , Mr. Jeffery's laughter carried a sinister note and he smugly laughed at me. I know he's responsible. The hatred I have in my heart for him is so strong that I feel it will consume me. I spat at his feet, and Mama slapped me.

I stared at her, betrayal heavy in my gaze. I brushed my shoulders past Mr. Jeffrey. He boldly leaned in to smell my hair. I shuddered, and my anger carried me to my cabin. I could hear Mamas voice, apologizing behind me. I refused to turn around and look.

Later, when the event had simmered down, and everybody had retired for the evening, my parents ventured to find me. I stayed hidden in my room and had no wish to ever leave. Mama's pleading voice, brought me out. When I took my Mama in my sights, I started crying all over again. I was a sobbing mess, and she just held me. I pleaded with them through my sobs, to have faith in Landon, that he was innocent. I could tell my words fell on deaf ears.

Papa said, "It's good that he's gone now. He is not for you." I was heartbroken. Not good for me? How could they say that? Do they not know that he is my mate. We are the same, and our the destiny is entwined. It's as if they were accusing me of taking the supplies and being the thief!

I knew at that moment what I needed to do. I would run away with Landon! I knew where my Coyote would be waiting for me. At the end of the fields, before the woods meet, there is a oasis under the willow branches. Our secluded little piece of heaven. I knew that underneath those trees, by the watering hole, he would be expecting me.

I could not look at this as turning my back on my parents. I would love them forever. I think they might be cross at first, but once my Coyote and I are settled, I will seek them out. I cannot wait for that sweet reunion, but for now I need to follow my heart. I let Mama's hug linger a little longer and kissed Papa on the head. I told them I needed rest.

When the moon is high, I will start my journey. I am packed. I am ready.

Wait for me Coyote. I am coming!

-Petra