Chapter : 18

•SHUBMAN GILL•

We are currently playing the first T20 match of the tri-series against Afghanistan at the scenic grounds of Dharamshala

We are currently playing the first T20 match of the tri-series against Afghanistan at the scenic grounds of Dharamshala. Afghan team has set a target of 159 runs for us to chase.

As the Indian innings begins, Rohit bhaiya and I stride to the crease to open for India. The crowd roars with excitement as Rohit bhaiya stands on the striker's end.

The first ball is bowled, and Rohit bhaiya faces it with concentration. It's a dot ball, met with a sigh of disappointment from the fans. But the next ball sees action. Rohit bhaiya strikes it, hoping for a quick run. However, I remain rooted in my place, my eyes fixed on the ball. I signal Rohit bhaiya to stay put, but it's too late. Rohit bhaiya, already in motion, and now we both are on the non-striker's end. He shouts at me to run, but it's all too late; the Afghan fielders have already done their job.

Rohit bhaiya gets out on a duck, his innings cut short before it even begins, and it's my fault.

The Afghan team erupts in celebration at their first wicket of the match.

Frustration and anger flicker across Rohit bhaiya's face as he leaves the field, but not before shooting accusing / murderous glances in my direction. And I just stand there looking at him with a guilty expression. Of course, it was my fault; I could have run and made it to the striker's end.

I tried to move on from that and focus on making as many runs as I can, but luck is definitely not on my side today. First, I caused the captain to lose his wicket, and now, in an attempt to play a risky shot which I could have avoided, I also got out, making just 23 runs in 12 balls.

With a defeated look, I settle myself in the very last chair of the dugout. I know I will hear an earful from the captain and coaches after the game.

I am sulking and brooding over my performance and the run-out when I hear someone calling my name. It's Axar bhaiya, emerging from the dressing room. "Tere phone pr Ishan ka call aa rha hain," he says, handing me my phone with Ishan's name flashing on it.

I swipe the green icon and say, "Hello."

"Shubman, it wasn't your fault."

"Huh? What?"

"I mean the run-out, it wasn't your fault."

"Oh, uh... but if only I had run, then Rohit bhaiya wouldn't have lost his wicket... and wait.... are you watching the match?"

"Of course, I am... and don't sulk over that. Whatever happened was just miscommunication between you and Rohit bhaiya." He says in a comforting manner.

"Yeah, but even after that, I myself didn't do any great and got out."

"No, you played a good little inning there. Aur vaise bhi, we don't have to chase 200."