Episode 7: Backstories

"Sanu, how far? I bin get appointment with person today, abeg, come pick me by 10 Am " I said on the phone. Sanu is a news editor and my only sibling. 'Baba, you suppose dan tell me this since yesterday na' he replied. He has a thing for pidgin english and I really enjoy his version of the language, he could be very playful but when I see him at work, I see a very different version of him. Do people have different versions of themselves? 'Abeg, just do fast, I go dey wait you' I told him.

*******************************************

'So, what's this project You're working on?' Sanu asked while we drove to the Awosanya's place. "It's a memoir" I responded. "The man wan die?" This is the thing about discussing with him, sometimes he says things that make you wonder if he really has brains. 'So, what kind of person is he?' he asked again. 'I don't reveal the identity of my clients, you know this' I said knowing fully well he'd be persistent. 'You don't want to reveal his identity and yet, na me dey drive you go your client house?' immediately he said that, reality hit me;
"I'll kill you, if I see anything related to this on the news. I'll totally murder you." I said jokingly.

Sanu learnt how to drive long before I thought I should. He was the daring one, he always ventured into anything that had his attention, he really didn't care about the opinion of anyone, he'd do it anyway. "Baba, when you go wan buy your own car" the umpteenth time he has asked me that question. 'To drive your brother dan tire you now abii?" I tried turning the conversation from me to him. "C'mon, you make enough to buy yourself a small car, instead of borrowing my car" Although, he had a point but I find nothing wrong with borrowing your brother's car.

"How's Tumi?" I asked, changing the topic of discussion; 'turn left' I said directing him as we were almost at our destination. "The girl dey stress my life" I hate listening to couples' problems which made me wonder why I asked him. "We had earlier agreed that when she is done with her Masters program in the states, she'll come back and practice here in Nigeria. Can you believe this Aunty has changed her mind?" "She wants to remain there?" I was getting interested. "Not just remain there, she wants me to come over as well. My Job, my investments, everything about me is here." Sanu said looking worried, it's rare seeing him worried. "So, what do you intend doing?" I asked. "I don't know yet, I just hope I'll figure it out, I mean I love her and I love my job also" he replied.

"Baba, no mix woman and career together." I said trying to ease the tension in the air. At this point, we arrived at the big edifice of the Awosanyas. He turned to me "I no blame you, you never love woman before na why you no go understand." He played his cards. 'òdè, ode ni e' I replied laughing.

One of the securities at the post approached our car 'Good afternoon, sirs' he said politely, his white teeth glared directly at me reminding me that I must wash my toilet the very second I return to my house. "I'm Mr Juwon Craig, Sir Bisi is expecting me" I said smiling. 'Okay, a minute' He went on to place a call to the main building. "Baba, no dey smile. You look annoying." Sanu interrupted my moments. "But, wait o, na ritualist be your client?" He had the same expression I'd when I first came in here. 'You can go in, sir.' The security personnel said. 'Thank you' Sanu replied admiring how composed and dressed he is. 'Juwon, abeg, who's this person na?' he asked again.

While we drove through the lawn, I admired once again the trees and beautiful flowers and from no where, a sight I didn't behold the last time I was here unfolded right in front of me; a peacock strolled right in, its body was covered with brown feathers, its tail was long showing its impressive blue and greenish iridescent feathers. "Juwon, you never tell me which house we enter so" Sanu broke the silence. "Na sir Bisi Awosanya" I replied "ehnnnn, you dey craze and you no tell me say make I dress well?" He fumed. "Don't you know that not just anyone comes to his house?" He added. I adjusted my collar in admiration that I'm among the few privileged to step into the house of one of the country's fine men. "What does that say about me?, humm" I said trying to give an impression. "Ode" Sanu hissed annoyed that he wasn't informed of where he was driving me to. I know him too well, he'll make a fuss of it. He'd be so extra, he might get to rent a bigger car all just to make an impression. So no, I wouldn't want that.