Episode 5: The Dinner II

Although, I cook at home, my meals are never the fancy types, just; rice, beans, yam, egg, plantains, Amala, name it & I doubt any of this will be in the menu of what I'll be having this evening at the Awosanya's place.

Let me explain further; you know those dinner dates you go to, where both the host and the guest(s) prepare a particular recipe? Like, you'll sit in the kitchen with knives for chopping, you'll put on an apron as well and while you do that, you get to converse on a particular topic or share your day? Yeah, that was how this particular dinner date went.

'I am sorry, I didn't explain to you the scope of the dinner' Sandra said interrupting my thoughts. Yeah, I was in deep thoughts; Ahh God, what if what's on the menu is something I can't eat, I said to myself. 'Oh no, it's nothing' I lied. I told a big fat lie. I just hoped I wouldn't make a mess of myself.

'Hey guys, this Mr Juwon' Sandra introduced me as we both walked into the kitchen; they looked extremely calm and still carried a happy face, I love the look on their faces, they seem not to have any troubles. (God when?)

'Hi guys, it's nice meeting you all' I said. The first guy extended his hands to me;
'C'est un plaisir de vous rencontrer, je m'appelle Collins' I knew this was the time to put to practice the French lessons I've been having on Duolingo;
'C'est un plaisir de vous rencontrer aussi' I replied, receiving his hands warmly.

'Impressive, I never knew you could speak French as well.' Sandra said, then she went ahead to do the introduction herself 'Collins is my cousin and over there is Cynthia, Collins sister and finally my uncle and his wife, Mr and Mrs Awosanya'

'You're welcome, Mr Juwon, it's nice to have you around' Sandra's uncle said as he diced a big bulb of onion (arghh, I hate the raw scent of onions). 'Feel free' he added.

'Just so you know, we are preparing, white bean soup with kale to welcome you we added; vegetarian stuffed mushrooms' Cynthia said ecstatically. The very second I heard Vegetarian stuffed Mushrooms, I began wondering where in Gods name I had it written in my CV that I was a vegetarian, I knew I was in for it. I had tears flowing in my inner eyes. 'Wow, that's intriguing, I can't wait to try them' I said trying to sound confident.

"Trust me, they're amazing meals" Mrs Awosanya' spoke, "It's been a family..." She continued as she tried pouring the onions her husband had earlier diced into the pot she had been stirring... "practice over the years, once in a while to pick a recipe we would like to prepare and come together as a family, everyone contributing their quota and also sharing our moments with each other" She said.

"That is a really nice tradition, it helps the family bond more" I replied trying to get the look on their faces. They all seem happy with what they're doing, Cynthia was helping with chopping some parsley leaves, she did that with so much precision and then Sandra, had joined them as she was adding some lemon to a blender she had by her side, waiting for Mrs Awosanya to add the soup she was boiling to the blender as well.

Hmm, the things my eyes were seeing. Imagine leaving all the food we have in Nigeria just to eat all these mende mende, is it not too much trouble?? 'So, tell us, Mr Juwon, why did you go into writing, ghost writing at that ' Collins asked as he handed me a cup of smoothie. 'It is a Watermelon & pawpaw mixed smoothie' He said like he knew I was going to ask what combination it was.

"I guess, it is something I'm good at, writing is something I feel, I'm good at but I really don't like being in the limelight, I prefer being appreciated in secret and my work applauded in public." I replied sipping my smoothie. The taste was divineeeee, I wished I could ask for more. "I don't get why a fine writer would want to go ghost" Cynthia said frowning her face, she reminded me so much of 'Sam' in 'Nickelodeon's Sam & Cat'

"I learnt you co-authored Dr Imsun's 'chocolate fairy' the book for children." Mrs Awosanya spoke again. She had a calm voice, the type you'd want to hear when everything around you seemed chaotic. "Yes, I did, ma" I responded. "How did you get to know Dr Imsun?" Collins asked, this time Mrs Awosanya had already poured the soup she blended with the lemon juice back into the pot, she was seasoning it with salt, pepper and something I later learnt is called Kale.

Ordinarily, if it were to be my own kitchen, I'd have been sweating profusely but just around the corner was an A.C. which made the atmosphere, conducive. I love the way Sandra's uncle was actively involved with the rest of the family in the kitchen; he seemed to be baking the stems of the mushrooms, just right beside him, Sandra mixed some chopped onions with green onions, roasted pepper, red pepper and added them to a skillet she had pre-heated with oil in it. I saw her add oregano and salt.

It might look or sound exciting but the stress seemed too much. The bean soup was almost ready, everyone was excited, Mrs Awosanya checked what her husband and Sandra did, so she added Parsley, breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese for them to mix and bake.

While all this was going on, I wondered what it seemed like growing up in this family ? "A friend introduced me to Dr Imsun. She was originally meant to write the chapters contracted to her by Dr but she fell ill during that period, that was how I came into the picture" I answered Collins question.

'I must say, you did a really good job with that book. It was very impressive and that was why I picked you for the memoir.' Sandra said.

The meal was ready, Cynthia, Sandra and Mrs Awosanya did the serving while Collins, I and Sandra's uncle set the table. I can't remember the last time I ate on a dining table. Collins had already juiced some oranges, pineapple, he had them on the table while Sandra's uncle brought some ice cubes and viola before you know it, everyone was seated by the table.

After Cynthia prayed on the meal, they all turned to me to have the first taste. I stared at their faces, puzzled. This is where I get to say 'you dey whine?' why would these guys make me have the first taste' I thought to myself. I took a spoon of the white bean soup, and for 15seconds, it seemed like I zoned out. In my mind, I went again (isn't this ewa goyin I'm tasting??). "Wow!" I exclaimed. Sandra's uncle then asked me to have a taste of the Vegetarian stuffed Mushrooms, hmmm.

To be continued...