Day 9: Regulations

The sun disappears behind the line of trees outside of the base as you find yourself in the common room again. It's quickly becoming dark outside, and it's your favorite time to be in here.

This time is different, though. Since Ghost, who usually remains in his room the majority of the time, has decided to join you.

"You don't seriously believe in all that astrology nonsense, do you?" Ghost's voice carries a note of playful skepticism, his lips curling into a smirk underneath his mask as he sits comfortably beside you.

You laugh, the sound light and carefree. "Oh, come on! Don't tell me you don't check your horoscope, even just for kicks.."

He leans back, crossing his arms in mock seriousness. "I am the epitome of skepticism. An astrological agnostic, if you will."

You playfully gasp, feigning shock. "An astrological agnostic? That's a new one. What does your agnostic self have against the cosmic wonders?"

Ghost's eyes gleam with mischief. "I've just never understood how the positions of distant stars could determine whether I find a dollar bill on the street or accidentally step on a Lego."

You burst into laughter, your whole being lighting up with the joy of the moment. "Oh, you're missing out on the deeper insights.."

He raises an eyebrow, a grin tugging at the corners of his lips despite the fact that you can't see it. "Deeper insights? Like how I'm secretly a salsa dancer or something?"

You lean forward, elbows resting on your knees, and give him an exaggerated nod. "Exactly! And let's not forget the fact that you have a secret addiction to late-night karaoke. See, I know what you do in that room of yours all night.."

Ghost's laughter resonates, filling the air with a rare and genuine warmth. "Well, now you've got me curious. Tell me, O wise astrologer, what do the stars say about my true self?"

You pretend to consider, tapping your chin. "Ah, well, it seems the stars have revealed that underneath that tough exterior lies a heart that secretly loves making flower crowns."

He chuckles, his eyes holding a glint of appreciation. "You may be onto something there. But what about you? What do the stars say about Miss Astrology Expert?"

You lean in, your eyes locking onto his. "They say that I'm very good at telling people who they really are... And you, my friend, are so boring that it hurts.."

"Cut it," he laughs low, enjoying the banter way more than he should. "I'm not boring. You're the boring one."

Suddenly, the two of you get interrupted by a low voice, scraping their throat. "Lieutenant... Sergeant."

The two of you look at the doorway only to see König standing there, his arms crossed in front of his chest. His presence is like an unexpected thunderclap, breaking the playful bubble that had formed between you and Ghost.

König's usually stern eyes are set in a tight expression, his eyes flickering between you and Ghost, a simmering tension radiating from him.

Your heart skips a beat, and you feel a rush of embarrassment as if you've been caught doing something you shouldn't have.

Ghost, always the composed one, raises an eyebrow, his lips quirking into a half-smile beneath his mask that doesn't quite mask the amusement in his eyes. He's not scared of König.

"Did I interrupt something?" König's voice is laced with a subtle edge, a hint of annoyance that doesn't escape either of you.

You exchange a quick glance with Ghost, your cheeks tinged with a slight blush, and then you shake your head, your voice light but betraying a touch of nerves. "Oh, no colonel. It was nothing."