22

After Monique's baby girl arrived, and the hospital room brimmed with love and joy, my thoughts shifted to Leni, my precious daughter, who was spending the night at my parents' house.

Earlier, amidst the whirlwind of emotions and urgency to be by Monique's side, my mother had insisted that Leni stay over. "Let her have a sleepover with her grandparents," she had said with a knowing smile. And so, Leni had happily skipped off to spend the night with Grandma and Grandpa.

Alone in the hallway outside the maternity ward, I couldn't shake the tension that lingered from the awkward encounter with Patrick. As I leaned against the wall, trying to calm my racing heart, I found myself yearning for the comfort of my daughter's presence.

The next day
Pat's POV

Eventually, after what felt like an eternity of wrestling with my thoughts, I made my way to my parents' house. The familiar warmth and familiarity of their home enveloped me as I stepped inside.

"Patrick, how lovely to see you," Mum greeted me with a warm smile, enveloping me in a comforting hug.

"Hi, Mum," I replied, returning her embrace.

My father emerged from the living room, his face lighting up with joy at the sight of me. "Pat, how are you?" he asked, his voice filled with genuine concern.

"I'm okay, Dad," I replied, trying to mask the turmoil brewing beneath the surface.

After exchanging pleasantries with my parents, I made my way to Leni's room, my heart fluttering with anticipation. As I peeked inside, I found her nestled in bed, her small form wrapped in blankets, her face peaceful in sleep.

"Hey, Leni," I whispered, gently brushing a strand of hair away from her face.

Leni stirred, blinking sleepily as she recognised me. "Uncle Pat?" she mumbled, rubbing her eyes.

"Yeah, it's me," I replied, smiling softly at her. "How are you, princess?"

Leni yawned, stretching her arms out towards me. "I'm good. Grandma let me watch cartoons," she said, her voice filled with excitement.

"That sounds like fun," I replied, unable to suppress a chuckle at her enthusiasm.

As Leni settled back into bed, I couldn't help but notice the worry etched on her face. "Is Mummy okay?" she asked, her voice tinged with concern.

I hesitated, unsure of how much to tell her. "Mummy's just feeling a little tired," I replied, choosing my words carefully. "But she'll be okay."

Leni nodded, seemingly satisfied with my answer. "Is she with Daddy?" she asked.

"I- yeah she is." I replied, choosing just to agree to avoid questions. "I'll be right here if you need me."

As I watched Leni drift back to sleep, a wave of tenderness washed over me. Despite the challenges we faced, my niece's unwavering love and innocence reminded me of what truly mattered in life. 

-

hey guys

i hope u enjoyed this

have a good one