Chapter- 5 The Familiar Connection

Quote for the day: Street puppies sure are cute, but they bite. So, don't get too swayed by their evil cuteness.
(Subtext: I almost got bit today.)

Riki's eyes moved as slowly as his grandma's movements, he watched her walk around the kitchen preparing dinner. He wanted to help, but after Jake tattled on him to his grandma about Riki fainting in school, it was a miracle that Nishimura Reina let her grandson out of his bed.

"Nana, come on let me help you with something! Like chopping the vegetables, I can do that while sitting." Riki whined as his Nana ignored him and continued adding spices to the soup.

"One more word, and I will strap you to your bed Nishimura Riki." Riki instantly shut up at the use of his full name. The care his Nana held for him was no joke, she was very overprotective over the boy and every single person in the neighborhood was aware of that.

Riki sulked as he rested his head on his arm which was leaning on the table. He hated being a burden to his grandma. A second later the doorbell rang and Riki bolted towards the door before his grandma could protest.

Boy, was he going to get scolded later on, but his butt was already sore from sitting and lying on the bed all day. During school hours Jake and Jay didn't let him out of bed, and in his home, his grandma did the same.

"Jake hyung?" Riki questioned looking at Jake who had a wide grin on his lips, "What are you doing here at night-"

His question got cut off as four other heads popped up from behind Jake grinning as well, Jay walked inside the house not forgetting to take off his shoes. He still remembered the last time he didn't do so, he almost got his ear ripped off by Riki's grandmother.

"Nana! I missed you so much!" Jay exclaimed as he hugged Reina who tried pushing him away but soon gave in. While Reina was known as the short-tempered grandma in the neighborhood, other than Riki she had grown a soft spot for the other five boys as well.

Soon, Jungwon, Sunoo, and Sunghoon headed inside the house followed by Jake who took his shoes off and placed four huge take-out bags on the coffee table.

"We brought dinner Nana, no need to cook." Jake smiled as he wrapped his arms around the older lady as well, "Ah, I missed hugging you so much."

"Let me in as well!" Sunoo exclaimed as he too got into the group hug. While Sunghoon and Jungwon just stood there shyly, they wanted to hug Reina as well but couldn't muster up the courage. She scared the two a little sometimes, with her immense strength.

"Ah, you should have called Jake hyung, Nana already made dinner," Riki said sitting down on the couch the second his grandma eyed him to do so.

"It's okay, I just made the soup, so we can still have the take-out boys brought." Reina smiled as she ushered the boys to wash their hands. Then she turned to Riki and smiled softly, "I am glad you made up with them, they are the true ones trust me little dumpling, they will be there until and after the end." Riki couldn't help but embrace his grandma when she called him with that nickname.

Sure, she used it daily but sometimes the younger boy got too emotional. He was aware of the fact that his Nana is old, and who knows how much time she has left. But Riki's sure that with the amount of energy she has in her, she'd probably outlive Riki as well.

"Never leave me, Nana," Riki murmured softly as his Nana gently rubbed his back.

"Never," Reina promised as she pulled away heading toward the kitchen to take the plates out and set up the table.

"We'll help you, Nana," Jungwon yelled as he and Sunghoon rushed toward the kitchen to help Reina.

"You okay Riki?" Jake asked as he appeared beside Riki, Jay and Sunoo went to Riki's room to change their shirts which they ruined after getting into a small water fight.