Into the River Chapter 16

As they padded back from battle training, Leafpaw noticed that Clawpaw seemed to be much more high-spirited. She also noticed that Clawpaw was less sleepy than she had probably ever been.

"How was battle practice?" Leafpaw asked.

"It was great," replied Clawpaw.

Lavapaw seemed a bit disappointed, "I guess it was okay."

Leafpaw noticed but didn't say anything. By the time Stormfrost pushed through the boundary of the camp, it was almost Sunhigh. "You all can each take your prey. You earned it today," Icewind said. The words had barely left her mouth when Clawpaw streaked towards the fresh-kill pile, with Lavapaw close behind. Leafpaw sighed as the two of them fought over a juicy sparrow.

"I touched it first!" Lavapaw shouted.

"I haven't eaten for 3 days," Clawpaw yelled back.

"Wow. Has Raincall been starving you?" Lavapaw asked, pausing for a moment in shock.

"Yes. Have you seen me eat for the last 3 days?" Clawpaw replied.

"I don't think I've ever seen you eat before," Lavapaw said, dropping the sparrow and pushing another fat one toward her.

As Clawpaw ate famishedly, Leafpaw went to get Rainystar and Lavapaw went to get Raincall.

"Rainystar," Leafpaw called into her tunnel. "Can I come in? It's Leafpaw,"

"Sure," Rainystar answered. When Leafpaw padded in, Rainystar asked, "Now, what is it that you want to talk about?"

"Well, you know how Raincall has been punishing Clawpaw right?" Leafpaw started.

"Yes, that's why I made Icewind her mentor instead," Rainystar said.

"Well, we have discovered some more," Leafpaw said.

"Do tell," Rainystar prompted.

"Raincall has been starving Clawpaw," Leafpaw told her.

"When did this start?" Rainystar asked.

"We aren't sure, but Clawpaw hasn't eaten for three days," Leafpaw responded.

"Fetch Clawpaw for me," Rainystar requested.

Leafpaw went off to find Clawpaw and discovered Clawpaw still eating. "Come on, Rainystar wants you," She ate even more than Lavapaw.

"But I'm hungry!" Clawpaw said.

"Then bring your sparrow with you," Leafpaw commanded.

Clawpaw groaned and grabbed the sparrow. Grumbling, she followed Leafpaw to Rainystar's den, "Hi Rainystar. What do you want and when can I get back to stuffing my face?"

"Hello, Clawpaw. I promise this will only take a moment," Rainystar said, "How long has Raincall been starving you?"

"Well, three days, but It started about a moon ago, when Poppykit and Thristlekit were born," Clawpaw said, "She argued that kits and elders eat first, and since Poppykit and Thristlekit couldn't eat yet, neither could I. After that, I started sneaking out and catching a fish or two every few days."

"I see. Very well, you may go," Rainystar said, "When will Lavapaw be coming?"

"Soon I think," Leafpaw replied, "But I have something else to talk to you about. I think I want to be a medicine cat,"

"Interesting. I always wondered if you'd be the first one," Rainystar said, "Could you fetch Marshleaf for me?"

When Leafpaw came back with Marshleaf, she said, "What did you mean by 'one'?"

This time Marshleaf replied, "Nine moons ago, I received a prophecy.

Three kits to be born,

Three destinies untold,

One of the three must have a blend, of herbs and flavors that transcend,

Black as a raven, one must be, with secrets to defend,

The third will come eventually, with a power untold,

A force to be reckoned with, a destiny to unfold.

We think you are the first 'one of the three'. You are black and have two siblings. Now you come asking to be a medicine cat."

"Ohh. So, can I be a medicine cat?" Leafpaw asked, ignoring the fact that Marshleaf had said 'the first one of the three'.

"Yes, but only after your warrior ceremony," Marshleaf answered, "You will need warrior skills too."

"Great!" Leafpaw squealed with excitement, but she decided to not tell her littermates.

Marshleaf left.