Into the River Chapter 12

Lavapaw was in a forest with tall trees that blocked out the sky and glowing fungi that seemed to be the only source of light. A ragged tortoiseshell-and-white she-cat with amber eyes was watching her. "H-hi?" She asked timidly.
"Hello Lavapaw." The strange cat said. "My name is Mapleshade. StarClan sent me to help you fight. They believe your fighting skills are not good enough.""What? Since when did StarClan care about some apprentice's fighting skills?" Lavapaw asked."Since they learned that you are in the prophecy," Mapleshade said cryptically, her voice echoing in the quiet forest "Now, do you want to learn to fight, or do you want to talk all night?""I guess I should learn to fight then."For the rest of the night, Lavapaw trained. During one training exercise, as Lavapaw leaped with determination, Mapleshade swiftly intercepted, pressing a paw on Lavapaw's tail and leaving a cut on her flank. "Ow! What was that for?""You need to tuck your tail. If it's out, another cat can do what I did, but it might not be a cut they give you," Mapleshade explained."Now, spring on top of me. Aim for my ears. As fast as you attack, retreat into the undergrowth. Then attack from a different angle. Keep going until I tell you to stop." Mapleshade said.Lavapaw jumped, and Mapleshade slammed a paw to the floor again, locking Lavapaw's tail on the ground. Lavapaw flipped over and looked defeated and as Mapleshade lunged forward to slice her belly, Lavapaw flipped up and cut her ears. As soon as she landed on Mapleshade's back, she leaped off, pushing Mapleshade to the ground. Mapleshade lashed out, but Lavapaw was already behind her, repeating the motion again and again. Mapleshade hissed and thrashed.Lavapaw began to adapt to Mapleshade's rigorous instructions. Mapleshade grabbed at Lavapaw's tail, only to find it gone. She hissed and lunged ruthlessly at Lavapaw, while Lavapaw vanished, coming around from the other side to claw Mapleshade.Cold and wet woke Lavapaw. She was in the river. As she swam back to shore, she saw Riverecho there. Why am I here?"Do you have to push me into the river?" Lavapaw complained. Oh, no! This is the day Riverecho dies! Lavapaw tried to leave her body, as she had before, but something held her there."Come on, we're patrolling the SkyClan border," Riverecho hissed. No! It kills you! Lavapaw thought as she relieved the horrific memory, helplessly. Then she finally burst out of her body, as before. She ran into the forest where she knew a large pheasant was at the time. I have to scare it towards Riverecho! Then she will see it and kill it, and it's so big that she will have no choice but to bring it back to camp! Lavapaw knew she had to be quick, the last time the pheasant was gone when she got there. I can't fail this time. She thought determinedly as she ran. She startled the pheasant right and when Riverecho brought it back, the Clan cheered at such a great catch. Riverecho had caught enough to feed the entire Clan for the next moon. Then, after eating, SkyClan invaded. They first attacked Riverecho, who was napping near Sharptail's hiding place. She quietly dragged Riverecho back into the undergrowth and killed her as Lavapaw watched. The rest of the cats poured out and slaughtered RiverClan before they knew what was happening. Lavapaw suddenly woke up. She cried out in agony. Riverecho was dead, and even StarClan couldn't change that. Lavapaw then realized that Riverecho was destined to die. In her grief she realized something. In her dreams, Lavapaw changed the now with small things, like Leafpaw being unusually lucky while hunting, or helping Clawpaw catch something, but she never changed the past. It always ended the same.The shadows of the night clung to Lavapaw's pelt as she awoke, gasping for breath. The chilling sensation of cold water and the haunting memory of Riverecho's demise lingered in her mind. The weight of the dream pressed down on her like a heavy stone.Disoriented, Lavapaw found herself back in the apprentice's den. Leafpaw and Clawpaw were still asleep, their forms outlined by the dim moonlight filtering through the entrance. Lavapaw tried to shake off the remnants of the nightmare, but its ghostly fingers continued to grasp at her thoughts.As dawn painted the sky with hues of pink and gold, Lavapaw felt a heavy sense of foreboding. The dream seemed to seep into her waking hours, casting a shadow over the reality around her.Determined to shake off the unsettling feeling, Lavapaw joined Leafpaw and Clawpaw as they headed out for their morning training. The sun's rays danced on the river's surface, a deceptive calm that betrayed the storm within Lavapaw's thoughts.The day unfolded with a mix of routines and training, yet the dream's echo reverberated through Lavapaw's consciousness. As she honed her skills alongside her littermates, she couldn't shake the sense of impending doom that clung to her like a relentless shadow.In the evening, as the Clan gathered for the night's rest, Lavapaw felt a strange compulsion. She slipped away, seeking solitude by the riverbank. The whispers of the water seemed to call to her, offering solace and a sanctuary from the haunting visions that plagued her.As Lavapaw gazed into the rippling reflections, she pondered the intricacies of destiny. The dream had shown her the fragility of time, the inability to alter the past, and the helplessness accompanying such revelations.A rustle in the undergrowth caught Lavapaw's attention, and she turned to see Leafpaw approaching, concern etched across her face."Lavapaw, are you alright?" Leafpaw asked, her eyes searching Lavapaw's for answers.Lavapaw hesitated before finally speaking, "I had a dream, Leafpaw. Another nightmare about Riverecho. She died, and no matter what I did, I couldn't change it."Leafpaw sat beside her, offering a comforting nuzzle. "Lavapaw, you know you should move on. You can't be stuck in the past forever."Lavapaw nodded, appreciating the reassurance. But the dream lingered.As the night enveloped them, Lavapaw and Leafpaw sat by the river, contemplating their destiny. The moon cast its gentle glow, and Lavapaw pushed the dream away."Come on! Let's see who can swim the fastest now!" Leafpaw suggested, trying to cheer up Lavapaw. As she leaped into the river, Lavapaw followed shortly, shouting, "Wait for me!".