Chapter 53

Leon: We need to wait for the others, going in now would be a bad idea.

Ushka: But waiting just gives her more time to be ready for us.

Mu had a disgruntled look on her muzzle.

Mu: While true, rushing in before we can guarantee we can beat her would be a costly mistake.

Riya: Ushka, do you think you can climb this tree? Let us know if you can see her anywhere in the camp.

While she said this, she pointed to the tree right next to them.

Ushka: Shouldn't be a problem. The leaves on that tree should make it easier to keep out of her sight if she is there.

After a second of her climbing the others heard Ushka gasp before seeing her land on the ground in front of them. Looking up all they could see was the tree's remaining leaves, that is until they were parted and they could see that Oshka was in the tree above them. Quickly they had all moved away from the tree while Oshka looked down at them with a grin on her muzzle.

Oshka: How nice of you to show up, and you even did it on time!

Rose: Your Witherlings weren't able to stop us!

Oshka cocked her head to the side but her grin never changed.

Oshka: Child, you haven't had any trouble with them because I wanted you here. Alone, without anyone to help you as they are too busy trying not to die.

Just then Oshka began channeling magic and a sigil that encompassed the entire camp and a good amount of the trees outside of it began to glow. Quickly Maria pulled a charm from her satchel and shoved it into Leon's hand. Before he could react Maria shoved him into Rose, and just as she did the sigil below them went off. While Rose held Leon close to her they watched as everyone else slowly began to collapse to the ground.

Rose: What...What did you do to them!

Oshka's grin widened.

Oshka: They're just having a nice dream, that's all.

Leon bristled when he heard her say that. Before he said anything he looked at his hand, and as he opened it he saw a glowing charm in the shape of a dove. As the sigil died down the dove-shaped charm stopped glowing.

Leon: You're the reason we had the nightmare that one night, aren't you?

Oshka gave a low chuckle in response.

Oshka: Would you look at that, his brain does work.

After saying this she jumped down from the tree, her weight crashing into the ground as she landed on her feet. Standing back to her full height the towering Gnoll looked down at the both of them. Rose already had her shield and sword at the ready while Leon pulled his spear off his back.

Oshka: There is nowhere to go and no one to help you!

Rose: I'm not going anywhere and you aren't laying a finger on him!

Leon could see that she was shaking slightly, she was scared. She had every right to be, they were essentially pinned in a corner with nowhere to go, having to face down this towering psychopath of black fur and muscle.

Leon swallowed hard, he felt like he had a knot in his throat.

Leon: Rose, you need to run.

Rose: No.

Leon: Rose, I said—

Rose: No!

He could see tears starting to stream down his daughter's muzzle.

Rose: No, I am not going to run and let you and the others die!

Oshka: While admirable, that is foolish child, you should have just done as he told you to.

After she said this Oshka lunged forward to punch Rose in the face, in response, Rose raised her shield and blocked the blow but was pushed back several feet. Leon stayed near Rose, waiting for an opening. Oshka lunged forward again, this time going in with a swipe of her right claw. Rose blocked the attack with her shield and responded with a thrust of her sword, Oshka sidestepped her, and as she did this Leon thrusted his spear toward her chest. Oshka backed out of his reach and then began channeling magic into her right arm, causing it to glow a dull purple.

Leon: Move!

Leon pushed Rose out of the way just as Oshka released her spell, sending a bolt of purple magic in his direction. Leon just barely managed to dive out of the way as it struck the tree behind him. At first, nothing seemed to happen then both Leon and Rose watched in horror as the tree slowly turned to stone.

Oshka had a scowl on her muzzle.

Oshka: Stupid vermin! I'll make sure to crush the air from your lungs when I get ahold of you Vulpine!

Rose: You aren't touching him, monster!

Oshka got ready to lunge again.

***

Leiko: I have a bad feeling about something, we need to hurry!

Varna: We're going as fast as we can, you know this.

Azur: He is right though, we need to hurry before Oshka sics more of her Witherlings on us.

As they hurried along they heard what they were sure was fighting and shouting. Once they had gotten closer they could see a camp with multiple tents and on the other side of it from where they were the sounds of combat were getting louder as they approached.