Chapter 35

It had been a few days after Maria had returned with Jahga and an injured Valka, and after Ushka was sent back to the citadel with a few of the faster Gnolls for added security. Leon was in the medical ward looking for Maria, he couldn't seem to find her but he did see Valka laying in one of the beds. Walking over to her he could see that she was awake, when he came close she looked at him.

Valka: Yes? Do you need something Leon?

Leon: Have you seen Maria? I needed to ask her something but I couldn't seem to find her.

Valka: She went out with Feraga to see if they could find what would be needed to create an antidote for Gnoll's Bane. She can't be everywhere at once and if she isn't around we need a way to survive if they use it again.

Leon: While that makes sense I wish she would have told more of us where she was going.

Valka: I don't know why she didn't, maybe she didn't intend to be gone that long?

Leon: Maybe. Well, thanks for telling me Valka.

Valka nodded and closed her eyes, clearly trying to get some sleep. Leon decided to head to the kitchen, Rose was supposed to be spending time with Riya today. After several minutes of walking the halls in the direction of the kitchen he could start to hear who he was sure was Rose and Riya.

Rose: But do I have to?

Riya: If you want a meat pie you have to knead the dough for the crust.

Rose: But it's so sticky!

Riya: That's why you coat what you are going to manipulate the dough with in flour, so it doesn't stick as bad.

As Leon opened the door to the kitchen area he could see Riya preparing venison while Rose had dough sticking to her claws and in some of her fur as she was kneading dough. When he came in Riya looked in his direction.

Riya: Oh, hello Leon! Did you need something?

Leon: Just came to see what you two were doing.

Riya: Rose is learning how to make a meat pie.

Rose: I'm being tortured!

Leon had an amused look on his face, she was definitely being overdramatic about having to knead dough.

Leon: It can't be that bad.

Rose: It's awful.

Riya: It's not that bad.

Rose looked in Leon's direction and started to give him a pouty face, clearly trying to get him to get her out of having to do what she was doing, kneading dough.

Leon: You realize that every time we have had meat pies that your mother has had to do what you're doing right now, right? It isn't that bad besides, it would be good for you to know how to make something yourself.

Rose, realizing that her attempt at pouting wasn't working, gave an annoyed huff before going back to kneading dough.

Leon: So, I would assume that we are eating meat pie later?

Riya: Yes, that is the intention.

Riya directs her attention to Rose.

Riya: The meat is ready, once you finish with that dough then form the crust, I need to speak with your father so I will be right outside if you need help.

With that both Riya and Leon step out of the kitchen.

Leon: What did you need to talk about?

Riya gave an exaggerated sigh.

Riya: I love Rose with all my heart but I really wish she would enjoy cooking more.

Leon gave a slightly amused look.

Leon: You know how she is, for her it's all about sparring and learning new ways to fight.

Riya: I know, and it's what would be expected of a Gnoll, I just want her to enjoy some of what I do as well...you know.

Leon patted Riya's arm.

Leon: I'm sure there is something she would like to learn to cook, clearly dough is not a favorite of hers however.

He gave a small chuckle at the end of his sentence remembering Rose struggling with the dough.

Riya: Right, well I had better get back in there and make sure she actually makes our dinner right.

Riya bends down to pick him up for a hug, keeping him like that for a minute before putting him back down.

Riya: Love you, I'll see you later.

Leon: Love you too.

With that Leon started to make his way to the training yard, it was about time for Sessa and Vuth's afternoon lessons.

Ushka and her small group of Gnolls had made it back to the citadel; they had to avoid several Witherling patrols on the way. Once she walked up to the gate she let out a whooping sound to let the guards know to let her in. After several minutes the gate began to open and on the other side was Thorn.

Ushka: I have something important I need to tell Zenkoh!

Thorn simply nodded and signaled her to follow him. On the way to Zenkoh's office Thorn finally spoke up since it was just the two of them.

Thorn: What is it that you need to tell her that is so important?

Ushka: Whoever it is that controls these Witherlings has access to Gnoll's Bane.

That got his attention real quick, his head nearly snapping as he turned to face her.

Thorn: You're absolutely sure of this?

Ushka: Yes, it was used on Valka and the only reason she is still alive is because Maria was there to help.

They were both silent until they had reached Zenkoh's office.

Thorn: We're here.

Ushka nodded and headed inside.