Chapter 50

As Azur's group began to reach the southern outskirts of Dark Wood all they could see was a forest of dead, withered trees. Very few of the trees still had anything resembling foliage on them. The air was heavy and oppressive, almost as if the forest wanted nothing to do with the living.

Azur: Dark is definitely a good descriptor of this place.

Leiko: We need to be careful, Witherlings are going to be all over this forest.

Varna was looking around when her ears perked up. After a few seconds, she quickly moved in Azur's direction.

Varna: Move!

Just as Varna pulled him in her direction the sound of dirt being pierced by a metal blade was heard. Where Azur was just standing was a dagger with its tip impaled into the ground. Valka began scanning the trees trying to find where that had come from. After a few tense moments, she pointed at one of the few trees with leaves still on its branches.

Valka: There!

Without missing a beat Jahga had already pulled out a javelin and began aiming for the tree her sister had pointed out. Just as she loosed the javelin into the leaves of the tree something jumped out to avoid the throw. A purple Vulpine had landed in front of them, upon standing up from the landing it could be seen that they stood at around the height of five foot eight. After a second Azur's eyes went wide.

Azur: Lily! What, how?

Varna cocked her head to the side with a confused look on her muzzle.

Varna: Who's that?

Azur: Lily's my late wife, but how? She's supposed to be...

Leiko: That would be Oshka's handiwork, it didn't take her long to find a replacement for me it seems. Oshka enjoys torturing others, including those she brings back. That's because when she brings them back they still have the ability to think and feel, but their actions are controlled by her magic.

Azur: Wait, but that would mean...

Leiko: Yes, that really is your wife, she is just controlled by Oshka's magic.

Azur looked to be on the verge of tears.

Azur: I had resigned myself to never being able to see her again after what Marr did to her, but to see her like this.

Azur shook his head in an attempt to suppress the tears that threatened to escape his eyes.

Azur: I understand we have to do what we must, but can you please avoid mutilating her? I don't think I could bear to see that.

After the last word left his mouth Witherlings began to excavate themselves from the ground around Lily.

***

As Zenkoh and Purth's warband approached the northern outskirts of Dark Wood they could see that the trees had very little if any semblance of life left.

Purth: What she's done to this forest, it is vile!

Zenkoh: And if we don't want everywhere else to end up looking like this we need to deal with her here and now.

Just then Witherlings began pulling themselves out of the ground around the Withered husks of trees. Not long after Morga had come into view.

Zenkoh: Looks like we're being given a nice, warm welcome. I hope you're ready, Purth.

Purth: About as ready as I can be.

Zenkoh's warband let out various war cries and howls as they drew their weapons. Morga pulled her warhammer off of her back as the Witherlings began to gather around her.

***

As Leon's group had neared the western edge of Dark Wood Leon could see that Mu was on edge.

Leon: Is something wrong Mu?

Mu: I don't like the feeling this place gives me, to say that the air itself feels wrong is an understatement.

Maria gave a shiver of discomfort.

Maria: I think I know what you mean. It's like nothing has been alive in this forest for a long time.

Riya: Ushka, can you get in one of those trees and see if you can spot anything?

Ushka: On it!

After a moment they watched Ushka climb one of the nearby trees. After a few minutes, Ushka made her way down from the tree.

Ushka: It's pretty much just dead and dying trees as far as the eye can see.

Mu: Then I guess we have little choice other than navigating this forest the hard way.

Riya gave a nod and the group resumed their course.