Chapter 32

Maria, Valka, and Jahga had been traveling throughout the Witherling tunnels for a few hours now and haven't found anything like a magic circle.

Valka: We've been down here for a long time, surprised we haven't run into any Witherlings.

Jahga: She may have them only guarding what is causing the magic that happened last night. Do you really need that torch, Maria?

Maria was positioned between Valka and Jahga as they walked down the tunnel. She held a torch aloft so that she could see.

Maria: Yes, I can see okay in the dark, but down here I can't see anything.

Jahga: Guess that's just something we still haven't gotten used to being around other races, as Gnolls we can see extremely well in the dark, even down here in this tunnel.

As they came up to a three way intersection Jahga, who was up front, thought she had heard something. Maria saw her ear twitch.

Maria: Do you hear something Jahga?

Jahga: I think so, it came from the right.

Valka: Then that's where we go.

The group proceeded to make their way down the dark, dank tunnel.

Leon had just dismissed Sessa and Vuth as their training was done for the day.

Rose: Dad?

Leon looked to his left and saw his daughter Rose and Azur standing there next to him.

Leon: Yes, Rose?

Rose: Mom had said something to me when we were at the citadel, about why I should show respect towards Zenkoh. She had said that you were only still alive because of her, what did she mean by that?

Azur stiffened slightly at remembering what she was talking about, the incident with Marr. Leon had a sad smile on his face.

Leon: Right, that. I would have to say it was simultaneously the worst day of my life but also one of the best.

Rose wore a confused look on her muzzle.

Leon: That was when we were having to deal with Cyrus and Marr. I had just got through fighting with Marr, he was an Ursine, and he had shattered my ribs. If Azur hadn't shown up when he did, I would have been dead. After Azur killed Marr he had to help walk me to the exit.

Azur: I hope you know that with that armor on you are heavy. Honestly thought about having Mu or Riya carry you like a baby.

Leon: I'm well aware my armor is heavy, so is yours.

Leon shook his head.

Leon: Anyway! Once we had gotten outside I had to rest, and while I was doing that they were discussing how to get me help in time.

Rose: And what did they do?

Leon laughed to himself a little while Azur had an annoyed look on his face remembering what happened.

Leon: They didn't do anything, Riya got tired of waiting and simply picked me up and rushed me to Gloomfang Citadel. She ran herself ragged to get me there on time. According to Maria, Riya passed out from exhaustion when she finally got me there.

Rose: So that's what Mom meant when she said she nearly killed herself to get you there.

Leon: Yeah, after I had finally woken up after Maria treated me the best she could was when your mother confessed to wanting to be with me.

Azur: That was also when Mu and I showed up to the citadel to tell Zenkoh that Cyrus had taken over Foxpine with his Ursine mercenaries.

Leon: Does that answer your question Rose?

Rose: Yeah, it did. Love you, Dad.

As she said this she pulled Leon to herself so that she could hug him. Leon reached up and patted the back of her head.

Leon: Love you too, sweetheart.

Back in the Witherling tunnels Maria, Jahga, and Valka had come to a roadblock.

Jahga: I can see Witherlings up ahead, they haven't seen us yet.

Valka: How many?

Jahga: Looks to be only two.

Maria: If we rush in we should be able to deal with them before they can leave to alert any others that might be nearby.

Jahga nodded and readied her spear.

Valka: We're ready when you are.

When she heard Valka say that, Jahga rushed forward and slammed into the first Witherling. It crashed into the wall before breaking apart and the bones that comprised it went everywhere. The second Witherling didn't have time to do more than turn its head before Jahga thrust her spear forward, skewering its head and causing the body to fall limp as she tossed the skull away.

Valka: They had to be guarding something.

As they looked around eventually Jahga looked up and saw something above them.

Jahga: Maria, you might want to come here!

Maria made her way over to where Jahga was.

Maria: What is it, Jahga?

Jahga pointed up above them with one of her claws, Maria looking to where she was pointing.

Maria: What's that?

After a while of looking at it Maria had a moment of realization.

Maria: This must be what was used to cause what happened last night! Which would make it a magic circle.

Valka: So, what do we do with it?

Maria looked at Jahga.

Maria: We smash it, of course!

With that Jahga got a huge grin on her face before looking up at the circle.

Jahga: How convenient, I am oh so good at that!

Once she finished her sentence Jahga pulled her arm back before punching the circle with everything she had. The stone the circle was carved into had cracks and fissures spiderweb out from where Jahga had hit it, rendering the circle inert.

Maria: There, now that the circle is like that it can't be used anymore. Now we need to look and see if there are any more.

Jahga and Valka nodded before continuing their trek through the tunnel.