Chapter Twelve: Elda...

Arens and his band of followers were all packed up, their belongings held in heavy bags or trundled along on some repaired carts. Three dragons circled above, providing an escort at Ember's command.

Elda kept her back straight, the early afternoon light glinting off the golden crown in her hair. When Arens shot her a glare that promised violence, she inclined her head towards the guards.

The ex-nobles were marched out of Bratus without a word, some of the civilians already awake to bear witness. Elda knew word would spread like wildfire. She just hoped it would stop any further dissenters trying to take advantage of a vulnerable kingdom.

When the group disappeared into the trees, Elda swallowed her guilt and marched back to the central trunk with her guards in tow. Vel dropped down from the tree he'd been perched in to walk beside her, his shadows a constant accompaniment. They brushed against her like they sensed her guilt.

"It's done," he said softly.

Her steps faltered, and she turned to look at him properly. Dark circles sat under his eyes, the red and black hues lacking their usual lustre. Whatever he'd been forced to do, it had torn at his soul.

"He'll help us?"

"As long as I agree to keep the darkness away."

She set her shoulders and nodded, aware the civilians were still watching. "Good. Our supplies for the journey are gathered and Reiner is ready to take over while we're gone. Ember will stay to help her."

"Abraxos should be chained while we travel."

"We can bring the binding shackles. Is his Spirit still trapped?"

"Hephaestus and the others have kept him contained for now. He'll remain here, trapped inside the weapon."

"We should get ready to leave then."

Elda watched him walk back towards the central trunk, his head up despite the obvious weight in his chest. She reached out and laced her fingers through his glove, brushing her consciousness against their bond in the hope that Sypher could feel her presence too.

"I'll be alright," Vel said quietly. "I had some... flashbacks."

"Flashbacks?"

"Torturing him reminded me of Shade."

Elda swallowed. "You were forced to do those things in Shade," she reassured him. "This isn't that different. The fate of Valerus depends on it. You wouldn't do any of it if it wasn't necessary."

"Like I said, I'll be fine. It just takes some getting over."

They walked the rest of the way in silence, then split off to inform the others. The Soul Forge disappeared towards the bowels of the trunk to ready Abraxos for the journey.

"Julian," Elda said when she found him wandering the halls with his brother. "We're leaving as soon as we can."

"Alright," he nodded, but there was a furrow in his brow. "Are you sure you don't want me with you, pipsqueak?"

"No. We need you here. Ember trusts you with the hatchlings, and we need her on our side to keep the defensive mothers in check. You keep the court safe."

"We will," he promised.

Clover clapped a hand against his back. "He's got his big brother to keep him in line if he gets too comfortable. We'll be okay."

"The Spirits have agreed to defend the city if it comes under attack while we're gone. Reiner will be in charge of the army. Any and all combat decisions must be run by her first," Elda asserted.