Chapter 7

Once the water began to get too cold, Ghost gently shook Lillian awake. "Come on, dove." he spoke softly. She stirred and groaned, "I don't want to get up." Ghost held a smile back, "You're going to get cold." he gently pushed her to sit and got out of the tub. He grabbed a towel and wrapped it around his waist. He grabbed the other towel that hung on the rack and held his hand out. Lillian grabbed it weakly, and tried to stand but exhaustion still held onto her. Ghost did most of the work after he wrapped the towel around body and carried her to bed. 

"How are you feeling?" he asked as he kneeled in front of her. With tired eyes, she smiled, "Fine, can I go back to sleep now?" she asked with a quiet voice. "Of course." he kissed her forehead before laying next to her. Rule #1 broke. He kept his hands to himself, but Lillian turned over and laid her head on his chest. Rule # 2. 

After letting Lillian sleep for a bit, Ghost carefully moved away from her, not waking her and walked into the living room after getting dressed. He pulled his shirt over his head as he sat on the couch to think. He rubbed his eyes as the confusion and irritation grew.

Though Lillian slept for a few hours, Ghost stayed until she woke up. When she did, she walked into the living room, half expecting Ghost to be gone. "Still here?" she joked lightly as she walked up behind him. "Uh, yeah," he said as he stood, his tone almost unreadable. He stood to look at her, his mind chaos and his chest the same. They stood silently for a moment before Lillian broke the silence, "Did you want to stay for dinner?" she asked timidly. Ghost stared for a moment longer before responding. "Dove, I don't do dinner." he said monotoned. Lillian nodded, "Well, how about-" she tried but he cut her off. "No, you don't understand. I don't do this." he said as he motioned between them. 

Lillian felt her chest tighten as anger and embarrassment filled her. "What do you mean?" she asked though she already knew the answer. "The whole relationship bullshit. I only fuck." he said coldly. Lillian's eyes began to burn. He used me. I should've known. "Get the fuck out." Lillian shouted, the pain from his words and actions from earlier overwhelming her body. Ghost hesitated but turned and left Lillian standing in her living room with tears in her eyes. 

One Week Later

Lillian had kept her distance from Ghost, her ego and body healing from the damage Ghost had done. She stayed at work until the very last second to avoid him and she smoked in her backyard instead of her front porch. She never looked out the window at his post. Though she wanted to. It was difficult to keep herself busy when the reason for her anguish was so close, but she'd successfully managed to avoid him so well, she hadn't realized he wasn't there. 

After leaving Lillian's house that day, Ghost asked for a different assignment. When Price asked the reason, Ghost only told him personal reasons and Price left it alone. His new assignment wasn't far, but still too close for temptation. At night, he'd sneak away from his new post that was only 2 blocks away, and watch her from afar. She never noticed him, and he preferred that. He didn't like the softness he showed towards her that day, but Gods, did he miss her. 

"'ey, LT. What's got you in a shite mood?" Soap asked as they walked down the road. Ghost only shook his head. "C'mon, you can tell me. You ask for a new assignment, force us all to move, and won't tell anyone why. Is it that tiny brunette?" he joked but Ghost gave him a look that made him regret his words. "Sorry," Soap apologized quickly. Ghost shook his head again, "'t's alright, Johnny. Just a distraction but now I'm good." he said flatly. Soap didn't buy it. 

Lillian was sitting in her backyard, staring at the sky. Her eyes bounced from cloud to cloud, her imagination putting the clouds into many shapes. She took a long drag of her cigarette when she heard a distant knock. She put the cigarette out and rushed inside. Deep down, she had hoped it was Ghost but knew better.