So he waited patiently, like a faithful dog awaiting its owner's gesture, hoping she would throw him a lifeline to brighten his day and keep him going.

"Rayan," she called out, her voice choked with tears, her hands clutching onto him desperately.

Rayan's heart twisted, his arms encircling her with gentle strength, his own anguish echoing in the depths of his soul. 

Couldn't she hear the silent plea echoing in his chest? Couldn't she feel his desperate longing to ease her pain, to hold her tight and chase away her sorrows?

"Rayan," she repeated, each syllable punctuated by a hitch in her breath as she buried her face against his shoulder.

"Rayan, Rayan, Rayan," Miray pleaded through her tears, each repetition pulling him closer, seeking refugee in his embrace.

"I'm here," Rayan managed to speak, his voice trembling with feeling. "Miray, I'm right here... just... Please," he begged, his heart throbbing with a mixture of urgency and desperation. "Don't cry," he urged, his voice strained with the depth of his own emotions.

Miray pulled back slightly, her tears still flowing silently, her sobs muffled. She didn't want to wake Kaiden, who slept nearby, unaware of the chaos unfolding in the darkness.

Little did she know...

"R-Rayan," she cried out, her hands instinctively reaching to cup Rayan's face, unable to see the troubled expression etched on his features in the engulfing darkness. "Rayan, I'm scared," she whispered, her hands gripping tighter.

"I don't want them to hate me," she cried miserably. "I-I don't, please Rayan," she pleaded, her voice trembling with fear and desperation.

"Shh, it's okay," Rayan eagerly responded, his heart aching to see her in distress, longing to do anything to ease her pain.

"R-Rayan," she cried helplessly, her voice broken by hiccups. "You do, right?" she pressed, desperation evident in her tone. "You said you'll always be there, right?" she pleaded, "You'll always be my brother, right, Rayan?" she implored desperately.

For a fleeting moment, Rayan felt a twinge in his heart, a buried truth clawing at the surface, an inner turmoil threatening to surface, but he quickly buried it and looked at her, his gaze unwavering. "I do," he affirmed.

He would do anything she want, fulfill any role she needed, just to halt her tears.

Just for her not to be sad.

His choice of words seemed to have the desired effect as he felt her tension ease slightly, her cries quieting to soft sniffles and hiccups.

For a while, they remained enveloped in silence, with Miray clinging to Rayan's neck while he held her close, rubbing her back in the comforting rhythm he knew she liked, mirroring the gestures of her brothers.

"You will really be always my brother?" Miray whispered after a while, her voice tinged with fear. "You will, right, Rayan?" she asked, her desperation more evident this time.

"I will," Rayan assured, his voice filled with unwavering certainty.

"Promise?" Miray sniffled, her voice thick with emotion.

"Promise," Rayan affirmed, and without hesitation, Miray threw herself into his embrace once more, finding comfort in Rayan's promise and presence.

"I love you," she whispered, oblivious to the profound impact her words had on Rayan's heart.

Miray was grateful because Rayan wanted to be her brother despite knowing she wasn't truly his sister.

Miray knew deep in her heart that her brothers would also love her regardless of blood ties. She witnessed their unwavering kindness and affection towards Kaiden and Rayan, treating them like family even though they weren't bound by blood.