Chapter Five: Not-So-Close Brothers

***

Part One: ...Burnt Frankenstein

"Hey, kid, get back, NOW!" It wasn't a statement, more like a command and out of fear little Katsuki complied, cradling his unconscious brother and slowly slipping away from the scene, the one mistake he regrets till this day. Maybe things could have been different, if he had met someone quirkless at the age that quirks usually manifest everything would have changed, instead of him being bullied it would be them and due to peer pressure, he would've joined in on the taunting. If that happened...he would've never met his favourite insomniac (though he's never admitted that Shinsou is in fact is favourite), the young would orphan never feel admiration from Mitsuki saving Bakugou from bullies if there were none to begin with but...none of this mess would have happened too, so, though it hurts to say this, he would have traded his brother to feel a warm embrace from his mother just one more time. Even now he shivers at the thought, his life could have been so much different, so much Better. Better, the word that always seems to leave a bitter taste in Katsuki's mouth. Better, a word used to describe something his life will never be.

***

He knows. His "favourite Insomniac" knows about the vigilante act. It won't be long before he finds out everything else, I have nightmares of the past on a weekly basis, today being one of those days. I can still recall the morning, once again I contemplated what life could've been like, once again I don't have the will power to move on, once again I am reminded of his words, the words of my "Saviour."

***

The man rises from an alley, hair hidden beneath a beanie, face behind a mask similar to ones surgeons wear and staples across his face, demented, that's what people would call such a sight but Katsuki, he showed admiration, admiration for the one he believed would help him, the one he believed he could rely on, because despite his superiority complex, really he was just a child, one with high standards and pride, yes, but a child none the less. Though, a child should never have to believe he is responsible for his parent's death, yet hear we are. If only he had stayed, laying Hitoshi beside an on watching couple and rushing back to the dark hero, he would've seen their true colours before it was too late. Yet no matter how hard he tries, the past was long ago and can't be changed. "Hey, kid, get back, NOW!"

The ruff voice echoed as the fire blazed behind him, it was obvious to Katsuki now that he was no younger than the "man" than maybe 8 years because of the obviously faked voice but at the time his swishing cloak mesmerized the boy, this WAS a man and he was surely a hero, even if no one else agreed because to Katsuki he was the best hero he'd ever seen in his life.

As heroes arrived at the scene the little boy re-emerged from behind the same ally the man first appeared from, giving another boy, one with purple hair and slightly shorter height a piggy-back, the shorter one still unable to open his eyes, smoke having filled his lungs as he didn't have the duration Katsuki did due to his quirk *not so villainous now is he?* A few hands pulled them back, trying to separate the boys and take them to "somewhere safe." If not for the man returning to the scene after seeing this both would've encountered the paparazzi. The man pulled them back, tugging the boy (still holding his brother) down a long hallway-like place between a crack in the ally.

"...uhm mister, can you let go now? I'm not a baby, I don't need your help, you helped us enough back there, can't I just go see my parents now?"

Silence followed the child's questions and Katsuki was getting fed up with being dragged along like a ragdoll and so, he swiped his arm out of the man's grip.