Chapter Fifty-Nine

Start from the beginning

"Have you ever known me to visit any brothel for pleasure?" Daemion narrowed his eyes. "The only time I did, I met you and Toothless Tommy."

Sly chuckled and ran his hand on a faint scar on his cheek. "Yes, I remember that night as vivid as memory serves." And he laughed even more

"Once a mercenary always a mercenary." Daemion threw back as he smirked and looked a the Red Keep. "Where is Ser Walder and his men? Were they with you when you visited the Street of Silk?"

Sly looked at the training ground and then spoke. "No, he was not. When we reached the Red Keep he said he and his men will be where the rest of the soldiers are, awaiting your orders. He is a good man that man. A loyal man."

Daemion calmly nodded. "That he is." Daemion spoke calmly.

"The man, Ser Walder, speaks very highly of you." Sly spoke. "He believes you to be a god among men."

"He is remembering memories from the past... from another life. From when I was the Black Dragon. Son to the legendary Maegor Targaryen and grandson to Visenya the Conqueror." Daemion spoke. "If he only understood that the man he once admired is no more, he would feel like a fool for even believing in him."

"Then am I a fool for following you, Daemion?" Sly asked as he narrowed his eyes as he looked at Daemion. "Was I a fool to fight by you for all these years? To follow you to Westeros?"

"You saw what I did in Oldtown. I'm not the good man you met in that stable thirteen years ago, Sly." Daemion spoke coldly but calmly

"No, you ain't." Sly spoke. "You are the best man I know, Daemion."

Daemion did not respond for he did not expect Sly to speak such a thing. After moments of silence, Daemion looked back at Sly and asked calmly.

"Even after what I did in Oldtown?" Daemion asked calmly as he looked at Sly.

Sly calmly nodded. "Yes. Even after what you did. You did what you deemed necessary to save your beloved. I would have done the same if it were my beloved Dara." Sly spoke.

"You don't understand... My hands are tainted with the blood of the innocent, Sly." Daemion spoke calmly as he looked down and he took in a deep breath to calm his shaking heart. "I killed my own uncle with my own hands. Call me weak if you will, but taking such lives is not what would just fade away for me."

"Have you forgotten the things I told you that I did when I lived with my Papa? I'm no stranger to the blood of blameless on my hands." Sly returned it sharply as he looked at Daemion coldly.

And Daemion was ashamed of what he had said. He was right. Daemion calmly looked away and looked at the dummy once more to hide his shame from his brother.

After moments of silence, Sly spoke calmly.

"Why do you only think about what you did, rather than what came out of what you did? Because of you, your beloved returned home to her daughters. Because of you, the backbone of this rebellion was broken. Because of you, no more innocent need not to die in civil war for now."

"For all of that, I crossed past my red lines, Sly. My moral codes are broken. My red lines. What difference is between me and Jumong if I spill the blood of the innocent without a second thought or any remorse?!" Daemion asked harshly. "I do not regret what I did, but it does not mean I am not haunted by it. You surly would understand."

Sly remained quiet, for he could see Daemion was truly taken and affected by his deeds. Sly could remember his own first kills... He never forgot them, for he knew his first kills were innocent men and women who only loaned gold from the wrong man, from his father.