Chapter Twenty-Eight

Amethyst held onto Daemion's arm as they walked outside of the Grand Hall.

"My beloved stepmother will not be happy about what you did." Amethyst spoke. "Our dance will be the talk of the palace for a week I am sure."

"I merely asked a beautiful lady to dance. And what a dance it was." Daemion spoke with a small smirk. "How many men can say that they have danced with the Crimson Princess?"

"Who knows, perhaps my father will choose me as his heir just because of my beautiful dress." Amethyst joked as she laughed as she opened the crimson ribbon around her neck that matched her crimson dress.

"I can't say that I would blame him for doing so. Prince BuGai's face will be a sight worth seeing." Daemion chuckled with his mouth closed as Amethyst's arm was still locked to his as they walked into the garden.

"When do you believe that the Emperor started his survey to choose his hair?" Daemion asked Amethyst.

"I do not know. But from the way Grand Vizir speaks of his preparations, I would not be surprised if the survey begins soon." Amethyst spoke softly as she looked at Daemion. "Have you written to your father? Of that soon you will return home?"

Daemion took a small breath. "Yes, I have written to him of my success but not of the details. But not before I received a letter from him." Daemion spoke calmly. "My father wrote that his brother, my uncle, the crown prince is departing for Dragonstone along with his family."

"What for?" Amethyst asked as she saw Daemion's face formed an unreadable expression.

"Of that, I do not know nor does my father or my grandmother." Daemion answered calmly as they walked into the most beautiful part of the garden, where the flowers grew.

Daemion's eyes fell on a beautiful crimson rose under the Dawn Redwoods tree. The red of it matched the crimson on Amethyst's dress. Daemion slowly broke their linked arms and walked to the rose and kneeled before it as he slowly took it out of the ground.

Daemion walked back to Amethyst slowly and as he looked down to look her in her eyes, and offered her the crimson flower.

Amethyst gently grabbed it and looked up to meet Daemion's deep violet eyes. As she received the flower, unwillingly she handed the crimson ribbon that she was holding in her fist to Daemion.

Daemion felt as his heart started beating rapidly as he looked at the ribbon that his eyes were fixated on as they danced through the night.

In the dead of the night standing in front of the great palace, tight in the middle of the garden... With the bright moon of Yi-Ti as their witness...

Amethyst leaned her head up and gently brought her face closer to Daemion's face, slowly closing her eyes.

As her lips got closer to his... He could feel the cool wind brushing his hair...

He wanted her lips. He wanted her. Amethyst... She was perfect... anything any man could have ever asked for in a woman. She was all that and even more. Enough to have men on their knees, ready to worship her. He himself could have loved her... He wanted to love her with all he had in his heart and soul... But yet... his heart remained not with her... it remained with his Princess Rhaena.

All these months he had spent in Yi-Ti, there were passing moments when he despised his love for Rhaena... It was a chain that held him to his prison of love. Rhaena could never love him. Never the way he wanted her to love him, that would be if she still remembered him after all these years... Her desire and love laid elsewhere... Somewhere that he didn't belong... But damn the gods... His heart still remained with her... Even after all these years...