Chapter 12

With Mars' touch in reality, I could avoid the Enta.

But I couldn't avoid them in my dreams. The only positive thing was that dreaming was an untouched activity. You did not affect others with your dreaming.

So, I'm safe, right?

Wrong.

They're moving my nightmare along for me.

The Entary is a walking around a pit of red hot coals.

I'm inside a cage hanging above the fire pit. The claws digging into my flesh were barbs in the cage itself, pressing into me, keeping me stuck in the middle, my arms above me as I clasp onto the cages' top.

One small movement and the steels barbs start to poke into me.

Theta thinks it's cute to pull on a chain that swings the cage left to right. I watch as the Enta lounge around the room, or pace while watching me struggle.

"Please, stop this! Help me!" I yell down at Velorum, the only one I believe can understand me even a little bit compared to the other Shadow Kors. Velorum is far away by the edges of the dark feasting pit, leaning against the wall and picking at his fangs, lazily watching me. His silver eyes narrow on me after I've screamed at him, he only pauses in picking his teeth, "I am your Dark Empress. I gave you my blood! I gave you my body! Why am I in a cage?"

Velorum doesn't answer.

Theta slowly lowers the cage.

When I scream, he stops and Wolf-Rayet paces into view, his fangs dripping with venom.

"...why would the honourless Entary, care...?" the Entary asks of himself, "When you bend like water, Diana, for the Estori and Mars. You're but a player in our true darkness."

Ah. An answer.

I finally understand what's happening, as Wolf-Rayet's white blank eyes, stare without remorse... but with jealousy.

I thought after agreeing to bond with them physically last time, they'd feel included – instead Wolf-Rayet sees I'm just trying to get them off my back. I was ingenuine, it's true... but boy oh boy, it was hard to appreciate and fall in love with leathery giant demonic bats who had no honour. Which meant even communicating with them was pointless if they were going to ignore my requests and go back on their word.

"Wolf-Rayet," I beg him to listen, "My truth is that I do not understand you. Your dreams and your world. I gave myself to you to understand. To try... I tried..."

"And you were disgusted by our skin, by our touch, by our tongues and our teeth and our instruments of pleasure... I will say, as you tolerated us, you almost had me fooled, Diana," the Entary starts to scowl, "What a disappointment you are to me. Feigning the bravery they commend you for. Feigning with me. Liar... pipsqueak light harbourer. Arrogant human. Cowardly Kor Empress..." the Entary goes on and on with the insults, his heart is hopeless and darkness wrapped together as he bullies me.

Mars' advice plays in my mind. To win, just fall. Do not fight shadows, because you cannot.

But how do I let go and give into the nightmare if I'm in a cage made to torture, swinging over a coal pit, while the Enta Kors watch on like cannibals picking at their teeth to make room for more flesh.

How do I surrender if they're all deciding to treat me to a nightmare where I'm the feast?

They are disgusting.

From what I can gather, I believe we're back on Neastron, at least, their version of it while their poison floods my mind and takes hold of my dreaming.