Racing Reflections

Liam is seen inside a private plane bound for Barcelona. Liam sits nervously in his seat, his mind swirling with anticipation and doubt. Logan, his trainer, sits beside him, a calm presence amidst Liam's inner turmoil. Liam is seen fidgeting with his hands.

Liam: Logan, I can't shake this feeling of nerves. What if I'm not ready for this?

Logan places his phone down and places a reassuring hand on Liam's shoulder.

Logan: Hey now, Liam. Take a deep breath. You've trained hard for this moment, and you're more than ready.

Liam sighs feeling that he is not ready for his debut lap in front of thousands.

Liam: I know, but... What if I let everyone down? What if I don't perform as well as they expect me to?

Logan meets Liam's nervous gaze with an understanding look.

Logan: Let me tell you a story, Liam. Back when I was a new racer, I had the opportunity to lap in a rally for the first time. I was nervous, just like you are now. But my trainer at the time, he told me something that has stuck with me ever since.

Liam feels curious eager to hear about Logan's story. He's the one with the most racing experience that he knows. He has to have some good advice.

Liam: What did he tell you?

Logan stares out the window reflecting on his story as he passes the knowledge down to Liam.

Logan: He told me that nerves are just a part of the game, Liam. Every racer feels them, no matter how experienced they are. But it's what you do with those nerves that matters.

Liam listens intently slightly understanding what Logan means but not fully.

Liam: What do you mean?

Logan smiles at Liam.

Logan: I mean that nerves can be a powerful motivator if you let them. They can push you to perform at your absolute best, to dig deep and find that extra bit of determination when you need it most.

Liam takes on Logan's words his worry starting to wind down at Logan's advice.

Liam: So you're saying I should embrace the nerves instead of letting them hold me back?

Logan nods happily knowing that Liam is learning quicker than the other racers he's trained before.

Logan: Exactly. Remember why you're here, Liam. You're not just racing for yourself. You're racing for everyone who's supported you along the way-your family, your friends, your team. Use that as your fuel, and you'll be unstoppable.

Liam feels a newfound sense of determination because of Logan's words. He's glad he's got a trainer and retired racer like Logan.

Liam: Thanks, Logan. I needed to hear that.

Logan pats Liam's shoulder in support of his upcoming lap in front of thousands. He's gonna have to prove he belongs to the racing world just like Logan did.

Logan: Anytime, kid. Now let's focus on the task at hand. Barcelona awaits, and I have a feeling you're going to leave quite the impression.

As the plane continues its journey to Barcelona, Liam feels a sense of calm wash over him. With Logan's words echoing in his mind, he knows that he's ready to face whatever challenges await him at the Circuit de Catalunya. And as he gazes out the window at the vast expanse of sky stretching out before him, Liam knows that his journey as a professional racer is just beginning.

* * * * *
The plane inches closer to Barcelona as the skyline is nearly visible from the plane. Suddenly the pilot comes on to the PA System and announces their arrival in Spain.

Pilot: Welcome to Barcelona. The city of counts. Touchdown in 5 minutes brace for landing.

Liam hears the pilot and excitedly looks out of the airplane's window. And gasps on at the skyline of Barcelona. The city is very beautiful and colorful. Logan comes up to him and points out the window towards the countryside.

Logan: If you look closely you can see the Circuit de Catalunya.

Liam looks towards the countryside. And slightly spots a seating tower at the Circuit de Catalunya in the distance.

Liam: Wow, it looks way bigger than I thought. I've only seen it on video games and on TV.

Logan: It's an amazing 2.894 mile track. With long straights and a variety of different corners. I'm sure you'll enjoy it. But, don't stress about the lap just yet. The race is on Saturday and it's only Monday. I'd say explore Barcelona a bit. It's a marvel of a city.

Liam: It sure looks like it. Have you been here before?

Logan: Yeah for a rally race, you'd be surprised at what wilderness Spain has. It's a heck of fun but the big thing when it comes to racing here is the terrain. Spain's terrain is what makes it difficult to race here. Even the Circuit de Catalunya has a lot of terrain changes that you have to watch out for, or you'll find yourself spinning into a wall. Trust me I've seen it. It's not pretty. Last thing you wanna do is wreck and that goes for racing at all.

Liam: Really? The terrain? Huh, I've never really thought about how much it could affect a race.

Logan: It's fine I'll show you on three practice runs when we get to the track. It's nothing too difficult really but it can be a throw off for new racers. Usually they end up fine though.

Liam: Usually?

Logan: Everyone's different behind the wheel.

Liam: I guess that's true.

The pilot lands the plane and pulls into a taxing lane of the Josep Tarradellas Barcelona- El Prat Airport and parks at a nearby hangar.

Pilot: Alright, y'all are free to head out. I'll be back on Sunday to pick you guys up again and head home. Safe travels. And have a damn good race.

Logan smiles at the Pilot's remark.

Logan: Ready?

Liam: Yeah I'm ready.

Logan: Alright let's meet the travel agent he'll tell us where our hotel is at.

Liam: Travel agent?