Chapter 4

"KARA!" Maisie shouted, causing her sister to snap out of her trance.

Seeing Kara's hand hovering over the open box, Maisie snatched the chair back roughly, sending her sister tumbling to the floor. Then she swiped the box, clamping the lid back on top with a loud snap and the pink glow vanished from the room.

"Where did you get this!" She hissed at the young girl, who was rubbing her knees, crying. "It's supposed to be in the bottom of the river right now!" A sinking feeling hit the bottom of her stomach. Had their parents lied to them? But why would they? Both of them had looked so happy to get rid of it and bragged about it too.

Then... is this thing really cursed?

"N-no," she whimpered. "I-it just s-showed up on the m-my desk." Wiping her eyes, she drew her knees to her chest. "I p-promise!"

Maisie looked down at the box in her hands and swallowed.

The wood was damp, and a small puddle of water coated her sister's desk where it had sat.

So, her parents hadn't lied about throwing it in the river. Kara told the truth. The box, which had some kind of pink, glowing thing inside of it, must be cursed after all... and Kara had nearly touched it. According to the legend, her sister had almost become the embodiment of death.

Maisie felt nauseous, and the box began trembling in her hands.

"Either way," she breathed, trying to calm herself so she could scold her sister. "You knew better than to open this box! Especially if it could be dangerous."

Only, Maisie knew now, for sure, that it wasn't safe at all.

"Are you going to tell Mom and Dad?" Kara asked with tears streaming down her face. Her brown eyes were full of child-like fear.

"I won't tell them," Maisie said, tucking the box at her side and pointing at the doorway. "But you get in the living room and stay in there. Neither of us will ever talk about what just happened, got it?"

Kara, feeling relieved, wiped her eyes and nodded her head before standing up shakily. For once in her short life, she experienced true fear. Never again would she doubt scary stories. She would be more careful from now on. She would become a good daughter and not get into fights. She would do whatever she had to as long as she never heard that voice again.

If she had to choose, she'd rather punch that sixth grader and be grounded for another month than ever see that box sitting on her desk again.

Kara turned her gaze to the floor. "What are you going to do with that?"

"I..." Maisie trailed off. "I'm not sure. I guess I'll have to hide it until I can get rid of it again. I'm stuck watching you two right now, so I can't throw it out right now. Since it didn't stay in the river, I can't throw it back in. Maybe I could – "

"Maisie..." Kara spoke softly.

"Hold on," she said and waved a hand. "I'm thinking."

"But Maisie," Kara pleaded.

She sighed. "You know what? I'm going back to my room to think this through. Just go back in the living room."

"But!"

Then the doorbell rang. Maisie pinched the bridge of her nose with a huff. Why did the Watsons have to arrive at the worst time? Her head was going to explode from the stress of this situation.