Chapter 4.26 - Combined Firepower

Start from the beginning

Mod said, "There's just one problem, TINA. My plan involves collateral damage too."

"The Doctor has given you his blessing. His exact words were, 'better the damage come from you.'"

"Good. TINA, bring the drone around. We need to get in the monster's path and we'll be too slow if we have to cut our way through the horde... and I need the spare battery."

The heavy drone rocketed over, moving far quicker than something its size should be able to. Angel Eye took a step back as it approached, but Oakenheart didn't see it until its hatch decloaked and crunched down on the edge of the roof.

They didn't have time to debate—the monstrosity was already hurtling down the street. Mod, Angel Eye, and Oakenheart leapt inside and then grabbed handholds as the heavy drone flew off to intercept.

Mod pulled the spare fusion battery out of a storage bank and placed it in his upper arm for safe keeping.

Oakenheart turned to Mod, her glare softening. "So, what's the plan, cyborg?"

"I punch a hole in its armor with this." Mod tapped his rifle. "Then drop a bomb inside."

"This machine couldn't penetrate its armor. What makes you think that little rifle will succeed?"

"It's got a few more settings... Just, uh, trust me."

Mod didn't elaborate. His fusion rifle had precisely one more setting, and he really hoped that would be enough to punch a hole in the creature. Otherwise, the Doctor's heavy drones would have to level the block to stop it.

"TINA, what do I do with the fusion cell to make it explode?"

Even though they'd engineered the cells not to do that, TINA and Mod had briefly discussed that option. Thankfully, it was simple enough to be done in a hurry, but not something that Mod could do just by dropping it.

Two latches, she explained privately. That was it.

"How long will I have?" Mod asked.

TINA's voice came through the drone loudspeaker for everyone's benefit. "Ten seconds. The explosion is approximately a one block yield."

"Not a lot of time," Angel Eye muttered.

TINA set them down on a roof of a three story building, and several blocks away from the monstrosity. It was barreling down the street and would pass right below their building if they didn't do something.

"The swarm is changing course. They're following you."

"Arsenal, can you lead them away?"

She flew across the neighboring block, uncloaked and firing rapidly. "I'm trying, but they're not biting. It's almost like they're following you, but that would be crazy, right?"

"Just keep them off of us as long as you can."

TINA added, "Lau Keishos and Shifter are awake and will help keep back the horde."

"Good. Oakenheart, it's going to take a few seconds for my laser to burn a hole through its armor... Can you distract that thing?"

She looked solemnly in the opposite direction, toward the Summit staging area and the refugees. "If that's what it takes."

"You lead. I'll follow."

The paladin nodded, then leapt off the roof. She fell to one knee as landed, concrete cracking beneath her.

"What about me?" Angel Eye asked.

"You're with me."

Mod and the sharpshooter leapt off after her. He lowered them both to the ground with his whip, then they ran to an adjacent laundromat. Mod leapt through the window, sending glass scattering across the floor. He busted out corners of several windows, then crouched down and rested his rifle on the top of a washing machine.