Jokes for the Fools' Day

Since it's April 1st and I haven't blogged forever, let's talk about jokes.

More precisely, let's talk about jokes in writing. 

Those little buggers often get in the way when I write, kicking the story in the wrong mood.

 Sense of humor is my foil, so the say. 

When I edit, I need to make a choice between keeping the jokes in and focusing the narrative on other themes. I'm thinking a lot about it, as I am editing Trapped by the Mafia. In this book, Bryn the Protagonist has a lot of funny asides. Her mind is forever spinning and reeling. She sees the funny things, often in an unusual way. I took my inspiration for this book from cozy mysteries I adore, but I overdid it. So, a lot of those cute observations and out of the left field comparisons have to be trimmed to improve the flow and clarity.

Other story, where I struggled to curb the humor in favor of focus and impact was Champion in Love. It was particularly hard, because the first chapter originated in my brain as Maximus' monologue about a perfect man, as he appears to a champion gladiator. To break apart that monologue, I spent a lot of time building the initial dialogues, full of humorous observations. Nearly all of them had to go in editing, to focus on Maximus meeting his future love interest. 

Instead, I focused on foreshadowing the uplifting tragedy waiting to happen and that Maximus' interpretation of a perfect man will be overturned by the story. 

Do I feel bad about leaving these jokes on the cutting room floor? You bet! But the consistent mood and atmosphere is more valuable then a few chuckles. 

For me, understanding of what mood will propel the story to the next tier of delivery takes time specifically because I love being funny, no matter what. So, for me it is an editing item for after a story was finished and cooled off, stopped bleeding when I cut. My rational brain takes off and I can see the ways to improve by deploying Delete. 

For my ONC, Totally a Vampire Thing, this battle is still ahead of me. I really love this story, but I face quite a dilemma between the two currents in it. One is lighthearted, the other is far more angsty, macabre. I am yet to decide which mood I have to highlight and let dominate for the best delivery.

Anyway, what's your relationship with humor in your writing or reading?