NaNo Quitting, Strategic Retreating and the Dark Art of Committing

I love writing competitions. Watty, ONC, Chapter Challengers, honestly, anything. I also love clubs on Wattpad. Yet, this weekend I withdrew from NaNo and paused my club activity. 

These things generate active writing life for me, and lots of inspiration. However, they all come with deadlines. And an expectation of quality. 

Right now, as of this moment, I am writing offline, with an important deadline to meet. It's also a project that feeds directly into my main goal. The goal that had never changed since I first decided to write a novel in 2017 and post it on Wattpad: to write online fiction people respond to, follow, want to know what happens next and read it.

I worked very hard to get to the point when I can focus on this goal as I passed other important milestones. 

It's also very stressful, because I am very honest with myself. 

I am putting maximum efforts into this project, come hell or high water. 

After 5 years of build up, and making it into Creators program I believe in, and seeing Wattpad adopt a new Serial Writing direction...I support it. I feel ethically aligned with it. I want it to be my path to my goal. 

To titter on the brink of pass/fail is effing hard. I faced two weeks of near debilitating fatigue because of the amount of investment I have into this project. 

Yet, no matter how nerve-wrecking this is, I want to be 100% in. 

That's why I cut off everything else atm, every other commitment. 

My love for those things didn't diminish. I will return to them later, when I either fail or adapt to the weight of the deadline/goal. Until then, I will just focus on this moment in my writing career. 

That's all for the month of November, and I hope you are having a swell time with NaNo or other writing. 

If not, perhaps taking a look at the list of deadlines and priorities is in order and see what conflicts with what, and what you actually want to invest in wholeheartedly. Then going for it at the expense of other things you love. Yes, it will hurt, but if not it might hurt more eventually.

Love,

Doms