76: The Heist Master

Start from the beginning

"Watch your mouth, kid."

I chuckle. "You know, it's funny...we worked in the same organization for years but you still forgot that we were trained by the same person."

I can hear him pause. "What the fuck is that supposed to mean--"

He's distracted by using that tiny brain in that big ass head and thinking too hard, I take that as my cue.

I have to be quick. Too quick for him to pull the trigger. I turn around and grab his wrist, stepping into his arm. He curses and fires the gun, no doubt being heard by the museum attendees.

That gunshot will trigger panic and police. That one gunshot just cut our time in half.

Gaining control over someone who had almost a foot of height on me wasn't easy. I grab his shoulder with my free hand and lift my knee and drive it into his stomach while bending his arm back. He drops the gun, sending it sliding across the floor.

I immediately disengage from Marco and go for the gun. A weapon is my best bet right now.

Realizing what I'm doing, Marco goes after me. "Little shit." he mutters under his breath as he plows into
my back, pushing me down. I grunt as my body hits the floor, the gun just out of my reach as I extend my arm for it.

A battle ensues, with me pulling myself away from him and Marco attempting to grab my limbs to stop me. He has his hand wrapped around my ankle while I kick my legs, flipped over on my back now so I could see him.

With a final hard kick, I get him right in the nose, immediately making him let go and grab his face in pain. I scramble for the gun, on my hands and knees as I finally grab it. As soon as it's in my hand, I turn around on the ground, facing him and pointing the gun straight at him.

I don't know what kind of commotion is happening downstairs, all I know is I have to act fast and save Elaina.

I pull the trigger, shooting him in the chest.

He cries out, stumbling back as his hand immediately goes to his chest. Blood drips down his face from his nose. He falls into the wall behind him, blood spilling into his white shirt.

Breathing heavy, I get up, ready to leave Marco there knowing he won't survive.

I turn to walk away, but then I hear Marco's weakened and pained voice from the ground.

"I knew I was gonna die tonight." he manages to let out a chuckle.

I stop and look over my shoulder.

He sniffs. "We all came here knowing it was a suicide mission...all of us knowing Carter would make be the one to survive it all."

His words make me confused...nervous. I turn around, my brows furrowed as I grip the gun and take a step toward him.

"What are you talking about?" I question.

Marco looks at me, and for the first time since I've known him, I see human emotion in his eyes. A tear rolls down his cheek, yet he looks at me with satisfaction, like he knows something I don't.

His lips shake as he struggles to speak, dying.

"Bombs. There are bombs planted everywhere. He can set them off with a simple click of a button."

My eyes grow wide and my lips part in shock, my blood freezing as he delivers the heart dropping news.

"He designed this night to have no survivors, even his employees." Marco stammers right before he begins to have a coughing fit, blood coming from his mouth as he can't catch his breath.