Introduction

"Great minds think alike, though fools seldom differ."

The alley itself was dark, throwing around shadows that seemed a little too similar to that of another human being. It was unnerving. Any stars were completely blocked out; the sky above was dark and vast, but the lights from nearby streets and televisions covered the atmosphere fully. Short, tight buildings stood on either side of the alley. The bricks were old and cracked, and the low-hanging roof was littered with holes and dents. It wasn't a miracle it was still standing, but rather was just a mere coincidence; miracles don't exist any more. A wired fence hugged the back, barbed wire curled around the top of it. The only way out was forward, into the glowing, prying city. It was rather unfortunate, though none seemed to notice. It was a death trap.

Perhaps it was a miracle, then — no, must've just been a coincidence — that the two kids had no interest in exploring anything past their dark, sheltered alley and what stood behind their wired fence. They had everything they needed right within this area.

"Where did you come up with that?"

The two of them were quick, swift with their movements. They knew what they were doing; practice makes perfect, after all. It was rather unfortunate, though none seemed to notice. Boxes were pulled apart, rubbish bins torn open, every nook and hole was sorted through within this alley, just as it was on the first of every month. And this month was no different. Except for one thing: it was a warmer December than most. While snow was a common in the winter months of the city, this month the city had seen no snow, just as the month before, and most probable the months after. It was nice; the two of them enjoyed the change. Although odd, it could be a good omen. Perhaps it was— no, must've just been a coincidence.

"It sounds odd, though it isn't mine. Rather an old expression."

It might've been an odd sight, but they soon completed their task, arms filled with broken bottles, torn paper, and old planks of wood; the two had never felt more accomplished. It was a satisfying night; natural objects were their speciality, but man-made items such as this cargo were gifts that could only be obtained through hard work and stealth. Although it wasn't the best of tasks — the two had learned to dread the first of the month, though it seldom bothered them any more — they were the fastest of the four, and they hadn't got caught yet. It wasn't smart to attempt to break a streak they held thus far. So, they remained beside tradition.

"Perhaps it isn't odd. Perhaps it's just that you read too much."

Their findings were quietly placed into the bags hanging from the shoulders; weight was equally divided between the two of them. They stacked the boxes and bins back into their original places and turned their backs to the glowing, prying city. The night had come and gone — the sun was just starting to rise above the mountains. The yellow rays would soon be bright against the dirty, wet concrete. They had stayed for too long; they were supposed to leave before the sun had shown itself. But all was well, for just as the city was glowing and prying, it too was slow and unaware. Escaping wouldn't be a concern. Not as the first time was. Two pairs of old shoes scraped against dirty, wet concrete. Two pairs of old hands ran against a familiar cracked brick wall protecting a familiar community home. Two pairs of souls were grateful for the presence of each other, and took joy in their departure from their forsaken city. Here, there was truly no hope, just as there were no more miracles.

"Perhaps it's just that people don't read enough."

Two pairs of bodies pushed their bags over the wired fence with barbed wire curled around the top of it. They followed their luggage over the edge, dropping lightly onto the soft, lively grass just behind the dead fence. It was good to be here, they thought. It was good to be away from that city.

The city stood tall behind them, glowing and prying into the lives and minds of every citizen. It was a burden they were happy to escape. The city was harsh, cold to those who lived inside. Doubt in the minds of the citizens meant doubt in the State, and that wouldn't do. It was the State that provided all the food. It was the State that provided all the water. It was the State that provided all the shelter, money, jobs, elections, thoughts, beliefs, lives. It was the State that kept the city glowing and prying, where the people who lived there were not quite dead but not quite alive. It was all the State.

Just outside the dark alley, with shadows that seemed a little too similar to that of another human being, rows of cameras and microphones covered the broken streets, watching the people's every move, every word, every thought. It was all in the name of protection. The safety of the city trumped the will of the individual — State individuals, not real individuals. Searchers, therefore, stood upon every corner; they were guards, hunting down and isolating those who thought they could challenge the wisdom of the State. They were the watchers, the servers, the enforcers. All in the name of protection.

A harsh river stood just beyond the wired fence with barbed wire. On a regular occurrence, the searchers would not stop; one would be chased until they were caught. But the searchers seldom crossed the fence; after all, none could survive outside the city, for the State ceased to exist outside the city, and the State existed in the name of protection. And one would never find a need to explore what is outside the city, for the State ceased to exist outside the city, and the State existed in the name of protection.

Out beyond the fence, two individuals — real individuals, not State individuals — continued across the vast plain, following a familiar path that would eventually lead them to their destination. The bright sun heated their skin, offering a needless comfort in this warm December. The early call of the birds kept them entertained, and the delicate trees along the way offered an odd combination of isolation and preservation. The world was different out here; they were alive, they were free. And none of it existed in the name of protection.