Chapter 2 || Friends

Amy took a minute of the five minutes she had to gather her thoughts. Her body trembled from the memory of his touch that threatened to rip her skin. The guy she had known from years ago was gone and had turned into a monster. She still could not figure out why he held her captive.

She pulled the towel off the rack and spread it on the counter. She picked up the necklace that had fallen to the floor and placed it on the towel. She went on to unclip the other necklaces and placed them on the towel. She ran her fingers over her cheek where her large earring had dented her cheek when she slept.

Amy realized the jewelry was of no worth to Eun-woo, but she hoped she could use it to pay someone else for her escape. She neatly bundled the jewelry in the fabric and went on to change out of her traditional attire.

She gasped when she looked at the way her top was ripped open at the back. He had pulled it with so much force, the silk fabric was shredded. She shook her head to shake off the fear that threatened to envelop her and pulled on the loose-fitting cotton pants and t-shirt. She washed her face and loosened her hair from her hairdo and pulled it up into a ponytail.

She gathered the bundle of jewelry and stepped out into the empty and dimly-lit bedroom. She could hear him right outside the door, and his voice was coming in clusters.

She tiptoed toward his voice and found him standing in front of a glass wall talking on the phone. She took in the broad spread of his shoulders and the thick muscles of his arms and decided not to fight him physically.

"It'll take me a few more days." He sounded annoyed.

She stood frozen listening to his conversation hoping to understand who he was talking to and if he was talking about her.

As if he sensed her presence, he turned to look directly at her sending a shiver down her spine.

"I got to go," he announced and hung up. "What is that?" He looked at the bundle in her hands.

"It's... it's my jewelry."

"Where you are going, you won't need them." He walked toward her making her grab the doorframe for support.

"This is not just any jewelry, this has been in the family for decades." She looked at him refusing to be intimidated. He used to be her friend, and she could not believe she felt threatened.

"Are you going to walk around holding them?"
She looked at him unable to figure out if he was being sarcastic in a weird way.

A knock on the door made her jump.

Did he have an accomplice?

He walked past her toward the double doors. He opened the door, and to her surprise, smiled at whoever was at the door. The sweet smile reminded her of the guy she knew, but she couldn't let the smile fool her.

She watched as he opened the double doors to let an elderly woman wearing a hotel uniform roll a cart into the large living area.

"Hello, Mrs. Cha. Good to see you." She smiled at Amy.

"My queen just woke up from her slumber," he winked at her making her wonder if she was dreaming.

"I hope you are enjoying your stay at our hotel. You have the best suite in the entire building." The elderly woman picked up the dishes off the cart and gingerly placed them on the table.

"I can put the towel in the laundry for you." The elderly woman smiled at her.

"Oh... no, it's okay," she managed to say holding onto the bundle of jewelry. Her mind raced wondering if she should ask the woman to help.